Experienced Divers: Will You Dive With Newbies?

Will you dive with a new diver on fun dives?

• Never

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 90 51.1%
  • Always

Votes: 62 35.2%
  • Only when I'm being paid as an instructor

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Only if they buy dinner afterwards

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Not on boat dives where I have to pay

Votes: 15 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure if i consitute as an expierenced diver, and many would class me a n00be...

how do u define expierenced?

NWGratefulDiver:
LOL - you KNOW my answer.

Experienced divers taught me more about diving than I ever learned in a classroom.

In this case, payback is my pleasure ... besides, nobody's more enthusiastic about a dive than someone who's just discovering it. And diving IS a social experience ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes and you and Pug have been helping me all along.

For those of you not familar to diving here in the NW. Bob and I have had (among others) the pleasure of helping out another SB member by the name of JasonH2O. This guy came along asking loads of great questions and looking for people to dive with. Well he has 16 dives under his belt now and looks and acts like a diver with far more experience. His enthusiam is excellent and his buddy skills are fantastic for someone as new to diving as himself. It's been a real pleasure to help him out and watch his progress. This sort of newbie can dive with me any time.

dsaxe01:
I'm not sure if i consitute as an expierenced diver, and many would class me a n00be...

how do u define expierenced?

Well, you can say # of dives, but I also look at recent dive history. Say some one who's done more than 30 dives in the last 6-7 months. This shows that they have recent dive experience and are not the 2-3 times a year resort diver. Although some one who has been doing resort dives for several years can be considered experienced, but only for the conditions they are used to.

I invite fresh divers to dive with me all the time. I will show them local sites and advise them on hazards and how to judge conditions, when to dive another day if they don't feel comfortable with conditons, etc...

I enjoy diving with new divers. They tend stay close, be interested in seeing the local wildlife, etc. And someone has to show them the dive sites!

BTW, how do people deal with hoovers on a boat ride? Do they ask people their SAC rate, and refuse to buddy with them if its too high? Or do they just send them back to the boat alone if they run out of air after 10 minutes? Or just bill them after the dive?

Just curious....

Scott

I actually love to help new divers and have spent a lot of time doing so but not when I have driven a long way and paid a lot of money for the dive. I got stuck last Aug by a LDS with 2 people who had no business on the dive we were on (an easy dive for NC). I had made it very clear to the LDS I did not want to be buddied with an inexperienced diver on these dives. What should have been at least 2 -60 minute dives turned into 2- 30 min unpaid....make that paid for by ME, DM dive. I will never go on a NC coast dive without a known buddy again. *%^!^%$!!! I paid to dive, not the be a DM to people who did not have the experience or training to be on that boat. I spent the entire dive,short as it was, trying to keep them together. I should of called the first dive, not done the second and insisted on getting my money back. I am always up for a quarry dive with most anyone or to do a simple shore dive like on Bonaire but if you want me as a NC off shore buddy, I want some experience....or pay my way.

Depends on the situation.

Being on a boat load of newbies or students is a total drag, as the dive sites are usually dumbed down to accomodate the class (read: 25' sandy bottom dive #1 for their checkouts, then dive #2 to 45', blah, blah, blah...) Its always my first question when I book a trip - who bought most of the tickets, a dive shop with classes, or what?

I book a trip, I expect the boat to offer the best trip it can for me. This includes casting the attendees in my general experience and abilities range. I wouldn't golf in a foursome of pros - so why dive on a boat loaded with swing-and-miss beginners?

I'll dive the Cat dive park with newbies and hoovers. I do it all the time - its low impact, low expense, low stakes. The dives are generally good, I've dived there hundreds of times, etc. No prob. Its not a place that will generally offer up a surprise, I'm not looking for mad BT there, etc. Its usually practice for me, and fun for the newbie.

But boat diving with a newbie, or a hoover? (toss in the morbidly obese as well) No way. Never.

---
Ken

It depends what kind of dive it is. If I want to take photographs then I don't dive with a new diver - I won't take the camera along if I know that someone is new. If I have paid to be somewhere especially for the location (normally boats) then I also get quite selfish. I have no problems at all diving with new divers locally, in fact I enjoy it.

I will dive with new divers if it was planned.
But I have been forced to take new divers as buddies on charters during vacations, even when photography was planned.
I will not pay for a dive if buddied with an unknown diver.
If photography is planned I go solo.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom