Experienced Divers: Will You Dive With Newbies?

Will you dive with a new diver on fun dives?

• Never

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 90 51.1%
  • Always

Votes: 62 35.2%
  • Only when I'm being paid as an instructor

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Only if they buy dinner afterwards

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Not on boat dives where I have to pay

Votes: 15 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hah OE2X! You and PUG are stirring it up tonight! LOL

I'll simplify my answer from the other thread.

Yes, I will dive with newbies if that was the plan from the start. Introducing them to new things is fun when it's planned and I know their capabilities. I won't dive with newbies I don't know. Being a crutch for someone with inadequate training is not in my cards when I don't know them or their capabilities.

So: Sometimes

You guys are scaring me. In May I'm going on a cruise boat to Coz, no one else in my party dives so I'm at the mercy of the Charter. Right now I have only 15 dives since certifying OW in late June, so I'm a newby. I plan to get some more diving in before May, maybe 6 to 10 more dives. I don't want to mess up anyones fun, but I want to learn to dive. Certification is only the start of a diving experiance.

FMW625 just be truthfull with whom you are buddied with.

fmw625:
You guys are scaring me. In May I'm going on a cruise boat to Coz, no one else in my party dives so I'm at the mercy of the Charter. Right now I have only 15 dives since certifying OW in late June, so I'm a newby. I plan to get some more diving in before May, maybe 6 to 10 more dives. I don't want to mess up anyones fun, but I want to learn to dive. Certification is only the start of a diving experiance.

With yourself and your insta-buddy.

May is quite a ways away. You can get in quite a number of dives to get back in the groove, become confident and improve your buddy skils. You'll do great. Just be truthful.

---
Ken

fmw625:
In May I'm going on a cruise boat to Coz
Expect to find yourself in a pod of hoovers. You might even have your dive cut short! :D

TIP: if you are the hoover and end up cutting someone else's dive short be sure to thank them for diving with you and apologize for cutting their dive short. Offer them your lunch. They will likely decline especially if you wait until you've already started eating it before making the offer.

If you are buddied with a hoover who cuts your dive short consider the exalted feeling of superiority as your recompense... but try to negotiate for their lunch... before they take the first bite.

I just usually sit on the bench with regulator in mouth using up rest of the gas and glancing, every now and then, wistfully down towards the wated giving off a very, very long and protracted exhalation . . . . ssiiiiiigggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

fmw625:
Practice and experience will increase you confidence and comfort which will help with your air consumption. Dive as much as you can before your trip--it will help. Focus some of these dives on really mastering buoyancy control and trim. Work on keeping your hands still and streamlined. Also learn as much as you can about the diving in Coz. Things like typical depths and dive times. Water temp so you can plan appropriate exposure protection. Drift diving is the thing in Coz which as long as you can just go with the flow without much movement you will improve your air consumption.

If you don't already know how--learn how to calculate your SAC rate and start tracking it during all these dives you are going to do before Coz.

Above all ask questions There are many of us here that can help.

Well you could bring a sling kit, another regulator on a 7' hose and put it on an AL80 . When the hoover blows through their air, just pass off the reg. Afterwards, I'm with Pug - I'd negotiate for their lunch or have them pick up your bar tab back at the hotel.

On my last dive back in late Sept. I dove with my instructor and another diver in the coldest water I'd ever dove in about 75 deg F. I was wearing a 2mm (the only one I have) a hood, and an al80. In the plan I was to work on boyuancy control, and how to prevent being feet heavy. I started with 3000 psig, after 70 min. and a max depth of 30 ffw (We dont have many places to dive deep and have any vis) we surfaced and I still had 1500 psig. This was probably the best that I have ever done diving. Is this an acceptable air consumption? I have the SAC in my dive log program but it is not avaliable at this time.

Back
Top Bottom