Exactly how deep is "Deep Air?"

What does Deep Air mean to you (in regard to narcosis)?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unfortunately we don't have to wait long for deep air fatalities. they happen quite frequently

I'll make a quick plea to everyone to try and save the argumentative comments for other threads. This thread was actually turning out to have some value for a change.

A person's subjective assessment of how they feel is a horrible indicator of whats really going on, and as such, I don't use it.
Probably the best quote/concept expressed in this thread.

"Deep Air" for me is deeper than I feel comfortable diving,and that varies hugely with dive conditions.

In an overhead,around 100 feet.
Cold,dark,OW 130 feet
Perfect Caribbean conditions, maybe 200 on a good day

I agree completely

Probably the best quote/concept expressed in this thread.

Depends what one uses as an alternative.

If narcossis affects everyone differently and is partially mitigated by environment do we use a subjective or arbitrary descriptor? I agree that how we feel may not be the best indicator but perhaps how we react?
Otherwise who's reactions do we set the arbitrary bar at? Some people get narced at 60' so should that be the beginning of deep air. If we say no and set the bar at say... 100' aren't we somehow being reckless by inviting them to dive beyond their deep air limits? This is the accusation I often here one board member make against another but with other arbitrary limits expressed.

Not sure of your intent so no arguement (in the debating sense) meant if none is implied :idk:

For me, it depends on the dive. No vis, cold water and working, I'd call 100' deep air. 10' vis, 50+ degrees, open water pleasure dives I'll do a bit deeper if there's a reason.

Depends what one uses as an alternative.
I use my depth gauge to determine if I am narced. My impairment is a given from the time I enter the water and increases with depth. I choose my personal "MOD" based on experience, training, the objective and such BEFORE I enter the water. Anything that mitigates the dive will decrease my personal MOD accordingly. My feelings may END a dive, but they will never increase the depth or duration. I certainly don't depend on them to determine if I am impaired at depth.

Hubris mixed with willful ignorance is the most deadly thing I possess. I work on eliminating or at least minimizing both each and every day.

Hubris mixed with willful ignorance is the most deadly thing I possess. I work on eliminating or at least minimizing both each and every day.

How's that working out for ya?

Personal "air" limits for me depend on diving environment ... and for END purposes I will consider "air" to be any appropriate EAN mix for the depth I'm diving.

For typical Puget Sound diving, I'm pretty comfortable at 120 fsw if conditions aren't too strenuous.

For warm-water diving, I can push it to 135 or so, given it's an easy dive.

For strenuous dives, I'll knock it back about 20 fsw from "normal" ... in this case I'm more concerned about CO2 buildup than narcosis, though.

For "overhead" dives (caves, inside wrecks, etc), I like to keep an END of less than 100 ... preferably a lot less ... I need all of my brain in those environments.

I don't always notice that I "feel" narced ... so I watch for behavioral clues like forgetfulness or anxiety. If I find myself checking my SPG or dive computer a lot ... or find myself thinking "dark" thoughts ... I know I'm narced and should consider moving shallower.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I use my depth gauge to determine if I am narced. My impairment is a given from the time I enter the water and increases with depth. I choose my personal "MOD" based on experience, training, the objective and such BEFORE I enter the water. Anything that mitigates the dive will decrease my personal MOD accordingly. My feelings may END a dive, but they will never increase the depth or duration. I certainly don't depend on them to determine if I am impaired at depth.

well said Pete

How's that working out for ya?
Definite improvement! No one's called me *dave* in quite a long time! :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom