Essentials class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like how we turned this into an "I love Don" thread. He's probably sitting back there blushing.

I was slaving away at work so only catching up now.

Another side benefit of this thread is we now have confirmation that Casey is one sick puppy. In a good way, of course.

The dude soon got his pass as an instructor and I recommended him to another diver friend, and she fell in love with the guy

Yup I love Don too!! (well in an instructor kind of way of course) and for great reasons!! When I met Don I only had 5 cold water dives (100 warm water) and was addicted to warm water diving & dependant on DM guides.

1st time out diving with him - I just couldn't believe anyone could be so graceful in the water! I was completely amazed!

Thanks to Don teaching & on going support (oh yeah and a few DIR mentors :wink:), I've logged 100+ independent cold water dives in many conditions (mostly since last August) & my skill is 1,000% safer & better!

Unbelievable to think Don's helped me transition from following a DM around in an Al80 & 3mm in 60-80ft vis and 85F water -- to independant cold California diving in steel doubles, in a drysuit in only 6 months!

I can't thank you enough Don!!! You are the best!!!

And thanks Mike G for the recommendation!! It certainly has changed my life! Had no idea cold water diving is so much fun!!! :D

I'm so excited for Kristina and Neil! You're gonna love Essentials!

I'm excited too. Is it too early to take my reg in to AWS to switch to long hose? I'm thinking 5' instead of 7' since I am 5'2". Insert recommendation here:________________________
Will Frank also be able to prepare the bungied backup, or is that something I have to do on my own? You think it's cool for me to dive the long hose before the class? Not this weekend, probably, this weekend is a good time to have the gear in the shop, but I don't want to be dry till class and want to make sure I'm prepared before class.

One of my buddies for Fundamentals and Tech 1 was about your height. She used a 7' hose for all her diving and just routed it under the can light (i.e. something on the right hip side) and then again under her knife sheath (to the left of her buckle on her waist). Worked for her.

I'm excited too. Is it too early to take my reg in to AWS to switch to long hose? I'm thinking 5' instead of 7' since I am 5'2". Insert recommendation here:________________________
Will Frank also be able to prepare the bungied backup, or is that something I have to do on my own? You think it's cool for me to dive the long hose before the class? Not this weekend, probably, this weekend is a good time to have the gear in the shop, but I don't want to be dry till class and want to make sure I'm prepared before class.

One of my old instructors (Delia Milliron) probably isn't any taller than 5'2". She uses a 7' hose for all her local diving and of course, all of her cave diving.

I dove a 5' hose for a while. It was okay but I like the 7' hose better. It routes nicely under my can light and works pretty much in any environment I want to use it in. I do get weird looks when I dive someplace like Hawaii though.

I would say that before you get in the water with the new hose configurations, you should talk with someone locally who can show you the proper way to stow and deploy a long hose and a bungeed backup. Or better yet, if your instructor has the time and is willing to show you these basics, ask him for help.

The thing you don't want to do is to be in an emergency underwater and then realize that you have not properly stowed your long hose. It's very easy to trap your long hose with your backup reg if you put things away in the wrong order.

My ex g/f at 5'2" and similar body shape as you, started in a 5ft hose as a warm water diver. Then when she started diving cold water I gave her a can light and she moved into a 7' hose. Knowing what I know now, I would have just started her in a 7 footer from the beginning. Shears in a pouch work just fine for trapping the hose under.

FWIW I prefer the Halcyon hoses. They are thinner and more flexible than the others. I wouldn't buy a Miflex hose though. Maybe for the bungee back up reg but not for the primary.

If you can find someone to practice with before class, then sure go ahead and switch, but make sure you have someone to mentor you with your next couple of times out and do plenty of air share drills.

Hi Kristina,

I know you don't have a light can, yet :wink:. I also know you are diving a BC. Essentials doesn't require a light can or bp/w to take the class. Although if you ever try a bp/w you'll probably never go back :)!

I don't know how a 7' hose would route with your BC? I think it's best to check in with Don who is very helpful and he can take a look at your rig to see what length would work best. Perhaps he can meet you and make the best hose recommendation to dive with your BC.

I agree that you deffinately should go out with a mentor before diving the new hoses. It is easy to cross things over and important to know how to offer that primary if your buddy needs it.

I'm sorry I'm a little short on time with Fundies class (2 weekends) just around the corner. But if you don't make it out with Don or a mentor before, I'll gladly join you for a post-fundies dive at the beginning of March. Rigging a back-up on a bungee is pretty easy, with a little coaching you can easily do it yourself :)

K

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't plan on buying new gear before the class, I'm going in with what I already have, with the exception of the hoses. I'll take those fins in tonight to get spring straps put on them, Kathy, thank you again for your generosity.
I'll have to have Don get me hooked up with what I'm going to need, I seem to recall he likes AnyWater Sports and I live a half mile away.
Class is still more than a month away, but I'm excited already!

Back
Top Bottom