Essentials class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

np251

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there

Im pretty close to setting up an Essentials class in Monterey for sometime in March/April and was wondering if anyone else was interested. My regular buddies dropped off the face of the earth after i mentioned i was planning this, so it would be cool to drum up a little more interest.

Thanks

Congrats!! That's a great decision!! I think you'll find that it's a fantastic class!

yeah, me too! Ive been playing with the idea for a while, but could never juggle work, diving time and buddies sufficiently well to pull it off. Since i wont be able to change the work schedule, i figured i just needed to do it sooner rather than later and make this year more efficient in terms of organising my diving time.

Really looking forward to it. Hopefully wont be too hard to get a buddy for the class

Cheers

Hey Neil,
It's about time... :wink: It's a great class and it will definitely set you up for bigger challenges. Just keep this thread alive and someone will jump in and take it with you.

Ben

If you haven't already, I'd highly recommend talking to Don. He may have had some other contacts from people in the same boat.

Hey Ben !

Yeah, definately about time... was deluded into thinking my schedule last year would magically diminish and let me do it. This year- im being a lot more pro-active. See you out there soon!

Yep. ive been in contact with Don... and he has already been really helpful. Reading the recent reports on his class have been just the thing to make me come to my senses and sign up

Good luck with your class and I look forward to hear about your experience. I also want to take this class eventually ... when I can afford to replace my current equipment with an hogarthian rig...

Essentials is fundies light, correct? What kind of time and money commitment are we talking about?

Good luck with your class and I look forward to hear about your experience. I also want to take this class eventually ... when I can afford to replace my current equipment with an hogarthian rig...

There are plenty of places to buy used, high quality gear if you keep your eyes open.

But the best news is that Essentials requires very little “special” gear:

Required Equipment:
o 5 or 7 ft. Primary Regulator Hose. Without this you will not be able to learn and conduct air sharing correctly.
o Fins: non-split variety. Without these you will be unable to learn proficient fin kick.

* Note all equipment can be rented for the course .

Essentials is fundies light, correct? What kind of time and money commitment are we talking about?

Here's the Essentials course description. http://www.unifiedteamdiving.com/page/essentials-1 Many Fundies skills are taught but the class is not pass/fail.

Our class was 3 days and an optional evening but I think each class is slightly different. You'd need to chat with Don about specifics. Just shoot him a PM here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/members/ae3753.html

Last edited:
Yep. ive been in contact with Don... and he has already been really helpful.

That's good to hear.

There is someone else who was interested, and I'll follow-up with him. Let me know what weekend you're thinking.

At least in March/April, the diving conditions should be nicer than what we've seen this winter.

Back
Top Bottom