Equipment pricing in Japan!?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello all! I do apologize if this question is guided to a select few and please bare with me if I have posted this question on the wrong thread as I'm still new to this forum.

I've recently passed my OW test after conducting multiple fundives over the year on rental equipment. Though I'm not exactly too sure as to consider myself ready to own equipment, I am sure that I detest rental equipment and the feeling of having to drown in the stench of a heavily used drysuit.

Interestingly, the dive shop today allowed me to use some of their newer equipment and was very happy with the Aqualung Pro QD. It felt very snug and inspired enough confidence to suggest that I should consider making this a opportunity to acquire one for myself. After conducting an extensive review and price search on the net, I was utterly shocked to discover that pricing in Europe and the US ($500-$600) was nearly half the price of what was labeled in the Japanese Aqualung catalog (JPY132,000 or $1,389):banghead:.

Something this obvious seems like a NO BRAINER and should be purchased overseas along with the Octo, and REG unless there was a shop generous enough to offer a +50% discount.

Now can somebody please educate me on why there is such a massive price difference?

Look to see what Japan charges for import duties. This probably doesn't account for the big gap, but it could explain part of it. Also it could be what the market bears in that part of the world (the free market is a wonderful thing).

I am glad your liked the Aqualung/SeaQuest Pro QD. I used to own one, a Pro-QD+ (now I own a SeaQuest Black Diamond and Balance BC) and I loved it. I consider it to be one of the best jacket-style BC's around. I actually miss using one. Anyway, about pricing, I noticed that if a local dive shop is located in an area where diving is not as popular as, say, Hawaii or Thailand, gear prices are through the roof (over-priced). I am basing it from observing local dive shops here in Vancouver, BC Canada, where the population of people who dive locally is quite small. They don't make any money on classes or dive trips so they end up charging an arm and a leg on equipment sales and service. Also, I figure that the cost of doing business in Japan is very expensive thus the high mark-up on the gear. Another reason for the higher prices is probably due to the low volume sales of that particular dive shop. Look for more active dive shops around Japan who also carries SeaQuest or Aqualung and compare. There seems to be an active diving community on Okinawa, you may find deals there. All I have written so far is based on my business experience and observations. I do not live in Japan so I do not know all of the local business conditions but based on my common knowledge of the Japanese economy but, generally, stuff sold in Japan is just plain expensive compared to the rest of the world whether it be local or imported stuff.

Aqualung probably has a local distributor in Japan. It would be worthwhile to call them up and find out the contact information for their most active dealers. Active meaning their preferred dealers. Once you have several contact numbers, shop around and see how their pricing compares to one another. If you find the selling price for Aqualung products are high, you may want to consider buying it in Taiwan or Thailand or Hong Kong or even Australia and have it shipped into Japan. If you know someone who is going abroad, you may want to ask them if they are interested in helping you purchase them.

Just my 2-cents on this topic :)

Thanks JOE COOL. I do know that most stores will usually discount anywhere between 10-20%, however the price gap will still remain fairly noticeable. I guess going down the route of having to contact Aqualung may work though the Japanese usually try their best to keep the topic of price wars behind closed curtains.

Hi, J...

If I may direct you to the Zen Divers forum here on the board; it's a group of us Japan-based divers. You may be able to get some information about equipment sources if you post your questions there. Some of our members do represent shops here in Japan and they may be able to offer you some competitive deals.

That said, scuba prices here in Japan, as with everything else here, tend to be quite expensive. I ended up buying almost all of my gear overseas and still came out way ahead even with shipping and import fees. But I have purchased some stuff here. My fins, for example. I bought Jetfins from a Tokyo-based shop, via internet, and got a good price and outstanding service. They even sent me two sizes of the fins, with no deposit, so I could decide which size was best for me.

Anyway, head over to Zen Divers: Zen Divers - ScubaBoard . You may get some good feedback.

Good luck!

Joel

IMHO the prices in Japan are usually 2 times to 3 times more expensive for dive gear. Above someone hit the nail on the head when they mentioned the import fees. Shipping to Japan is really expensive. However you can find some good deals with Doug over at Reef Encounters in Okinawa.
I have also found it good to use leizure pro to buy some things. I also think that people here are used to paying high prices for dive gear. I think that once the price is set, it probably won't go down because people are willing to pay the price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom