Equipment advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edgpr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Would you guys recommend buying packages such as the ones below. I need to get a set of reg, octo and gauge/comp, but i have spent a lot of money on other gear lately and i'm running short. The prices are pretty cheap, but I'm not too familiar with the brands and quality. Are these packages worth it or should i wait and buy better equiment little by little?
I mostly dive south Fl. warm waters to about 100' max. Thank you.

Genesis "Atlas" Regulator GR440
Genesis CG5736 200ft Compact Console
Sherwood Dual Octopus
$345 New

Oceanic Alpha 8 PX3 Piston Regulator, Black
Oceanic Slimline 2 Octopus, Yellow
Oceanic "Veo 100" Dive Computer SWIV Double Gauge Combo, Yellow
$400 New

For the difference in price, definitely the computer is a better deal. These packages are around the internet in places like leisurepro. It's just that im not familiar with these brands and i know a dencent regulator alone will run you that much and more, so i just wanted to know what's wrong with these deals that they go for so cheap?

I dont know anything about the rest of the gear but my first dive computer was a Oceanic veo 100. Its a basic computer, nothing fancy, but it does the job. I think I paid 220 at the time, so this price looks good to me.

I have never seen the Genesis gear but most shops do carry Oceanic and they seem to be pretty good. I have 2 of Oceanics computers and have had no problems.

You may also want to look into the Hog Regulators you can get High performance Adjustabel reg's from them for about the price you will be paying for the Oceanics. You can get a 1st/2nd stage for about $250 from piranaha +100 for the backup and you will have a great breathing reg set. for a total of 350.00

Piranha Dive Manufacturing

2132-2623_th.jpg

Oceanic Computer 200
Oceanic "Veo 100" Dive Computer SWIV Double Gauge Combo, Yellow

total 550.00 your $150.00 more but you will be way further ahead.

edgpr,
I would go with the Oceanic deal. The reg's first stage is a SP MK 5 clone, which I believe has been recently discontinued but is very simple and reliable. The Alpha 8 second stage is a simple downstrean second. I would DEFINITELY swap the Slimline octo for a standard Alpha 8 octo. It will breath much better.

Dude, save your money . If you plan to continue to dive (and you are going to dive a lot you will be wanting a better regulator system then what the discount warehouses are selling). The best systems that are made today are still made by Atomic, Scubapro, and Aprek. All of the Atomic and Apeks regulators are great, Scubapro(has to many regulators, but the Mk25 and any of the G250 clones are great).
Buy it right the first time. Dude

Dude, save your money . If you plan to continue to dive (and you are going to dive a lot you will be wanting a better regulator system then what the discount warehouses are selling). The best systems that are made today are still made by Atomic, Scubapro, and Aprek. All of the Atomic and Apeks regulators are great, Scubapro(has to many regulators, but the Mk25 and any of the G250 clones are great).
Buy it right the first time. Dude

The discount warehouses sell all those brands! Leisurepro sells Scubapro, although they are greymarket imports because Leisurepro is not an authorized Scubapro dealer (i.e., they don't support Scubapro's price-fixing business model, which is illegal in Europe, leading to cheaper prices there than here). So the choice is whether to support your LDS and possibly pay more or buy the same equipment from an online distributor.

Both Genesis and Oceanic are quality names in the industry. They are both spot on price-wise. The regulators are comparable. The Alpha 8 can be used with 40% nitrox. The octos are also comparable. If you go with the Oceanic but enjoy the versability of the Sherwood Dual Octo then check out the Oceanic Swivel Octo. The Alpha 8 Octo suggested earlier is comparable in price to the Slimline and it doesn't feel like you have a hockey puck in your mouth. The big difference comes down to the computer/console. The CG5736 console is rugged and easy to read. The Veo 100 computer is simple to use and a good first computer.

If the money is tight these are both great deals. You are definelty getting your money's worth.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom