Buying mid - high end regulator vs replacing it every few years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of curiosity what are those M3s and M5s you cite repeatedly? Are you talking about BMW M3 and M5 or something else made only for Americans?

Out of curiosity what are those M3s and M5s you cite repeatedly? Are you talking about BMW M3 and M5 or something else made only for Americans?
I was talking about BMWs, and I believe others are as well. Dinan is an aftermarket tuner in the US that replaces various parts in BMWs, among other things they very significantly boost power and torque. I happened to have driven a heavily Dinan modified M5 and M3 just before driving a basic rental car sedan, so I used that drastic contrast as an example. (Right after driving the Dinan's I also drove one of the 3 series 'ultimate tanning machines', but that is merely a decent car to get groceries compared to the Dinan M cars. My normal life involves a decent but non-sport Suburu, but someone else has some nice cars.)

I fully agree that that drastic a range is not generally present in good performing regulators. Though there do seem work of breathing differences as the breathing volume increases. As you push the breathing volume, such as an in-shape diver doing a minute-long full out sprint underwater just for the thrill of zooming through the reef, those differences can mean doing or not doing something. A binary yes/no difference vs. a 10-20% difference. If your experience of the reef includes the ability to jog from one spot to the other and then some gear lets you only walk, that is a difference that may affect your enjoyment.

If you buy a new reg, it's going to meet the European EAN250 standard which sets maximums for breathing effort and minimums for stability while providing sufficient air for two heavy breathing divers at the pressure equivalent of 50m (164').

My understanding is EN250:2014 is one diver breathing if deeper than 30m, as they feel you should have two first stages for deeper dives. EN250A certifies for two divers on one first stage deep.

What is EN250? | Journal | SimplyScuba

Also, https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.co...n/SCP_productmanual_reg_45101180_07_19_en.pdf page 4
"
2.3 Limitations provided by EN 250: 2014

The certification depth is 50 meters (164 ft).

If a SCUBA is configured for and used by more than one diver at the same time, then it shall not be used at depths greater than 30 meters and in water temperature less than 4°C if marked “EN250A” ,and less than 10°C If marked with “EN250A>10°C”
"

Which seem to read in opposite directions. I tried to find and understand the actual standards but failed.

IMOP,

No, no, IDA. Service your regs, when they are due, use 2 yrs or a # of dives, follow your reg's manual. Your diaphragm purge will weaken over time & not provide as much instant gas delivery. 5-10 yrs is too long & you'll spend all that time breathing out of those regs, more forceful breathing for you. In that time, O-rings & diaphragms change, flatten.

Per your picks, I was in the Navy & been diving for 4 decades. I use the Oceanics you picked. The Delta 5 is deep-cold, takes an experienced diver & user to use it, IMOP. Depends on how advanced you are, with your gas planning, management, maths, breathing, ect. It's a 1,000 ft reg & my go-to. It's a tech reg. It's butter smooth. Your depths don't require the Delta 5 though but you can benefit from it & use it for everything. Long term, the Delta 5.

I use the Alpha 10 for my doubles set, deep, cold & for everything in-between. Overall, it's easier to dive with & a good set. It'll still take you to 500 ft but it is not better than the Delta 5. The Delta 5 kills the Alpha 10.

For your # of dives & depths, the Alpha 10. The Alpha 10 will still take you, through tech easily.

I don't do Aqualung or Atomics because of servicing & parts. My diving predates Atomics, even if Atomics is a tech brand, not messing with it, maybe someone else has better experience getting them serviced.

I would do option 1.1 something more along the line of the Atomic Z2 or 3 or scubapro Mk11 s560 or C370

That's what I would recommend. Z2 sealed is best IMO. You can go 3 or more years between servicing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom