Edited: First stage not flooded

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So here is my gueas... when the gas was checked by 3 people the 1st turned it on the 2nd turned it off and the third loosened the 1st stage

The first check was by me, the second by my wife on a buddy check. DM was last before entering the water I am assuming as I saw them check every tank, every dive. If that is the case, how could I breathe off of a closed tank for 2-3 minutes at the surface?

The first check was by me, the second by my wife on a buddy check. DM was last before entering the water I am assuming as I saw them check every tank, every dive. If that is the case, how could I breathe off of a closed tank for 2-3 minutes at the surface?
If the first stage was loose/unattached on the valve, the reg would still breath, even with the gas off.
When in the sequence did you do your breathing-and-watch-the-SPG check? Was it before your wife "turned off your gas" and the DM "loosened your reg?"

Maybe there were two problem at once?
1) Something holding the exaust flaps open (regs breathe fine above water, but flood underwater)
2) DM pulls the tank by the wrong knob and breaks the screw

when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

Well. If your Yoke Screw came out and you did not get a gas leak, then your either had an empty tank, or your tank valve was closed.

Obviously none of us were there to see this 1st hand. Just from limited info, I am guessing that somehow your tank valve got closed off, or partially closed off during the pre-dive check/assist. Your pressurized 1st stage and hoses allowed you at least a breath or two as you were entering the water. A yoke screw does not just fall out! It takes quite few turns to get it out, and the threads must be ok if you got right back in with a new screw.

I hate to cast doubt on the DM/Crew, but everybody makes mistakes. Anyone telling me: "I'm a XX+year diver/DM" there for "it could not have been my fault"... Immediately sounds suspect to me. Even the thought of pushing a disabled diver over the side with is tank valve turned off should scare the cr@p out of any respectable dive operator. So it would not surprise me if everybody quickly went into CYA mode.

Glad your ok! If I was responsible for that operation, I would demand a detailed account from all involved.

Reg breathing/SPG check is done twice. One after tanks are analyzed and first stage is put on. Next is at the entry just before giant stride. Mask on, reg in, grab SPG, breathe 2-3 breathes, needle doesn't move, splash in.

I understand that it seems the general consensus is leaning toward tank being off as part of this problem. However, once I entered the water, both regs were purged for at least 5-10 seconds. A purge underwater to try to breathe, purging on the way back up so I COULD breathe, purge at the surface to try to figure out what the hell was going on.

There is literally no way I could inflate my wing to the point the overinflate went off and purge regs on an tank that was turned off.

Well. If your Yoke Screw came out and you did not get a gas leak, then your either had an empty tank, or your tank valve was closed.

Obviously none of us were there to see this 1st hand. Just from limited info, I am guessing that somehow your tank valve got closed off, or partially closed off during the pre-dive check/assist. Your pressurized 1st stage and hoses allowed you at least a breath or two as you were entering the water. A yoke screw does not just fall out! It takes quite few turns to get it out, and the threads must be ok if you got right back in with a new screw.

I hate to cast doubt on the DM/Crew, but everybody makes mistakes. Anyone telling me: "I'm a XX+year diver/DM" there for "it could not have been my fault"... Immediately sounds suspect to me. Even the thought of pushing a disabled diver over the side with is tank valve turned off should scare the cr@p out of any respectable dive operator. So it would not surprise me if everybody quickly went into CYA mode.

Glad your ok! If I was responsible for that operation, I would demand a detailed account from all involved.

I have 100% confidence in this boat and crew. The DM never once said how long he had done anything - it was overheard in idle chit chat about the boat.

Well if your tank was on then your 2nd stage is just garbage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom