Edited: First stage not flooded

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A dive isn't a good dive if you're the only one coming back alive.

I get what you are saying though.

I should have written my post better to read "Every dive you (and your buddy) come back from alive is a good one IMHO

I love my HOG regs and don't see switching anytime soon. I am not taking anything as a personal attack although I did get defensive earlier and I again apologize. I am trying to make sure the two issues most are talking about are kept separate because I 100% believe they are not related anymore.

The splash ins where all I got was water through the regs - the air was on. At least to me, it is impossible to stay in the water as long as I did, purging, swapping, inflating wing, etc. with the air off.

When the yoke screw fell overboard, the gas was obviously off as there was no leak but I was standing on the dive deck, my hands were no where near either the tank valve or yoke screw it and I cannot really say anything with certainty other than then yoke screw went overboard. Did the DM turn the gas off as I exited the water? I don't know. Once the air was off did he twist the yoke screw enough to allow it to fall out? No clue.

I greatly appreciate the knowledge on this forum and I just want to get to the bottom of this. I dive with... special circumstances (not a big fan of the phrase handicapped diver). I train my @$$ off to make sure even if the prosthetic comes off I can do everything that needs to be done and then some. I went so far as to do the unresponsive diver surface, tow and CPR without the prosthetic and only one leg - just to make sure I could.

My wife is my dive buddy 99.99% of the time. As mentioned above, "Every dive you and your buddy come back from alive is a good dive". I would like to continue having good dives. Life insurance policy withstanding... :D

Here's a question for the engineers among us..

Is it possible for a mis-seated tank valve o-ring (or body HP/LP orifice) to create a sort of 'one-way valve'? I think this is a long shot, but I was wondering if tank/HP or LP gas flowing past a one-way valve could suck water in using the venturi effect?

I think Lizzard said the 1st stage proved to be dry by the LDS. I was just thinking through any and all possible scenarios that could produce these results.

When the yoke screw fell overboard, the gas was obviously off as there was no leak but I was standing on the dive deck, my hands were no where near either the tank valve or yoke screw it and I cannot really say anything with certainty other than then yoke screw went overboard. Did the DM turn the gas off as I exited the water? I don't know. Once the air was off did he twist the yoke screw enough to allow it to fall out? No clue.

I have some yoke screws that have to be physically unscrewed and others that can be easily spun open. If the DM shut off the tank and spun the yoke screw open and it was quite free, I can see it spinning out and into the drink, end of that mystery.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom