Question Easily accessible shore dives in South Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soduh

Registered
Reaction score
Hey gang, my wife and dive buddy has recently been going through some medical issues and thus gets winded very easily. We are going to south florida, staying in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, in two weeks and she says that she would really love to be able to do a dive while we are down there. Can anyone recommend a spot where we won't have to battle waves and long walks too hard to get in the water? Any spots closer to shore than others?

(I already know about BHB and suspect that is likely the best option but maybe there is something closer to where we are staying?)

@Scuba_Jenny is an excellent person to contact. No shore dive entrance is easier than BHB, about an hour north of LBTS. The problem with the beaches is the distance of the walk across the sand. The most difficult part is the last couple of steps and then up a small hill.

You're doing it wrong.

Shore dives are a LOT more work. It involves what is usually a bit of a walk, or a very long walk, sometimes while wearing gear, entering and exiting the water with gear, maybe fighting some waves and surf, and sometimes having a long walk back to your entry point and/or fighting currents.

Take a boat to the dive site, walk a half dozen steps and splash right on top of the dive site. Wifey can remove her gear in the water where it will be lifted onto the boat by the crew.

You're doing it wrong.

Shore dives are a LOT more work. It involves what is usually a bit of a walk, or a very long walk, sometimes while wearing gear, entering and exiting the water with gear, maybe fighting some waves and surf, and sometimes having a long walk back to your entry point and/or fighting currents.

Take a boat to the dive site, walk a half dozen steps and splash right on top of the dive site. Wifey can remove her gear in the water where it will be lifted onto the boat by the crew.
Ah, that's the good stuff. Just when I worry that members of Scuba Board aren't going to talk down or ignore the premise of the question to dick measure, a real true believer comes along to make sure everyone knows just how big of a hog they're carrying around.

Cool bro, thanks. I understand the premise of a shore dive. Boat dives are also usually deeper with long rides in the sun to get out to the dive site which are also factors we are considering. How about next time directly answer a question or just don't post?

I agree with the comment about boat dives. SE diving, doing a boat dive is less taxing than a shore dive. That being acknowledged, if you want to do a beach dive, the easiest is BHB. Dive it on the high tide. Loads of info here an on the internet about it. Next easiest is LBTS. After that, all the other locations I know of require gearing up at the car, walking from the car through the parking lot to the beach, across the sand to the water. Then put on your fins and mask, swim out 100 yards or so, drop down, enjoy the scenery, and come back in as close to the entry point as possible. The conversion from weightlessness to gravity sucks.. There is usually an incline of sand you must climb on exit. And of course beach goers want to stop you and ask if you saw any sharks, or if there is a reef out there. Some even ask if you were scuba diving!!!

Check the surf report, and if you're in LBTS that is actually a pretty easy site to enter and has a nice swiss cheese like reef area on the first-second reef line (starting around 30ft). Assuming you have a 0-1 ft waves, it's an easy entry (check here) for commercial pier area.

As others have said already, 30-45 mins north of you in Riviera beach is the famous muck dive at BHB. I'm sure a guide like Jenny who has been recommended will help you find some really cool stuff and get the most out of this special (world renown) place. It's not uncommon to see seahorses, frogfish, jawfish, batfish ... etc. Stuff you won't see on the reef. This one you have to dive with the tides, so if you're here the week of the 24th you're in luck (see tide tables here) you want to enter 60 or so minutes before high slack tide.

Two completely different dives, both quite easy and well worth it.

Please, everyone, I know about the pros and cons of shore dives vs. boat dives. We have done both a good amount. We are trying to keep it closer to shore in case we have to abort, as well as to not spending $100 extra dollars to have a bad time if it goes poorly. All I was trying to figure out is if there are any spots that are easier to access than others in the lauderdale by the sea area.

Check the surf report, and if you're in LBTS that is actually a pretty easy site to enter and has a nice swiss cheese like reef area on the first-second reef line (starting around 30ft). Assuming you have a 0-1 ft waves, it's an easy entry (check here) for commercial pier area.

As others have said already, 30-45 mins north of you in Riviera beach is the famous muck dive at BHB. I'm sure a guide like Jenny who has been recommended will help you find some really cool stuff and get the most out of this special (world renown) place. It's not uncommon to see seahorses, frogfish, jawfish, batfish ... etc. Stuff you won't see on the reef. This one you have to dive with the tides, so if you're here the week of the 24th you're in luck (see tide tables here) you want to enter 60 or so minutes before high slack tide.

Two completely different dives, both quite easy and well worth it.

I appreciate this answer. We are staying at Plunge Beach Resort. Do you know if we would be able to access the reef there or if there is an easier entry/exit point?

We are staying at Plunge Beach Resort. Do you know if we would be able to access the reef there or if there is an easier entry/exit point?

Hey Soduh, the traditional entry (where there is the ‘snorkel trail’ that includes an anchor and a cannon) is on Datura ave. This is only about 5 minutes walk south on the other side of the pier from your hotel.

If I were staying there I would just enter in front of the hotel. The reef will be similar in front of where you’re at so not really worth going to Datura for the snorkel stuff.

Perhaps try that dive out first and if ok, then do try to organize a trip to BHB if you’re here at good tide times too. Both dives are quite special. Enjoy your visit and hope your wife and dive buddy is ok to dive :)

A couple of other notes
- stay 300 ft away from the pier, by law here
- bring/rent a flag. Also law here (and safer!)
There are a couple of shops just up commercial blvd that would sell/rent

Please, everyone, I know about the pros and cons of shore dives vs. boat dives. We have done both a good amount. We are trying to keep it closer to shore in case we have to abort, as well as to not spending $100 extra dollars to have a bad time if it goes poorly. All I was trying to figure out is if there are any spots that are easier to access than others in the lauderdale by the sea area.

I appreciate this answer. We are staying at Plunge Beach Resort. Do you know if we would be able to access the reef there or if there is an easier entry/exit point?
With that knowledge of staying at Plunge.. I'm assuming that's the place just south of Datura? Cool! Enjoy! No worrying about parking spots, and meters, and stuff.. The whole block, from Datura to Hibiscus to the south is good, with (some may argue more interesting) stuff to the north towards the pier, and out as far as the mooring balls and the drop off. I don't head that far out unless it is pristine conditions, and it's forecast to stay that way as long as I am out.
For reference, my general rule of thumb is nothing over 10 mph from the east, or 15 from the west. IF from the E, NE, or SE, and been blowing you may have to contend with waves, lower vis, current, and possibly surge. Adjust the dive accordingly to avoid the long walk back on sand.
There are three reef lines that run parallel to the coast. The first reef line is in 25-30 ft water. What we dive off the beach is the inshore reef of the first reef line. Wherever I beach dive, I typically surface swim out to where the light water gets dark, about 200 ft, then drop down. That is were the sand turns to grasses and rubble. The further east you go, there will be more structure, dips, corals, critters, etc.

Oh, another nice, easy beach dive is Perry St. in Hollywood. Big rocks straight east. Only word of caution there is that where you park is a high smash n grab crime area. Make sure you lock your car, and hide all valuables. Another pretty easy entry is around the 1200 block (and north) of Sunrise Blvd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom