Budget diving in south Florida (Miami, Keys, etc.)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a foreigner :cool: what would that mean?

What's the length of the dives? Typical depths? Overal time for two dives?

Assume one rocked up with the kit but needed cylinders/tanks, what would the price be ($110) ?

What "additional" charges would one expect to pay for -- Americans are famous for liking "tips" and "taxes", so what's the total?

Would one need to rent lead?
Depends on the charter. In ft Lauderdale area, boat trips are $75 to $90 plus tax for a 2 tank dive. On average, tanks are $12 each for air and $17 for Nitros. Some boats charge $6 for weights others include it. Generally you should tip the crew $10-$20 (they work mostly for tips)

If you go to the Keys, you can go on a boat charter to the reefs for about $100 For a 2 tank dive. With both Rainbow reef and Key Dives, that price includes tanks, air, weights and a free dive guide.

If you want a dive guide for your trip, I charge $100 in Ft. Lauderdale for a 2 tank dive to take one diver and $25 for each additional diver up to 4 people

I was looking at the Keys as a stopover for the SC invasion. Price for one night was about the same as crossing the Atlantic, a week was like chartering my own plane. Priced themselves out of the market.

I’m now off to Thailand to dive.

Supply and demand. If the hotels were empty, they wouldn't charge what they do. The cost to stay in the Keys is insane, but people keep coming.

I haven't been to Key Largo since 2017 and I've never been to Key West. I can find lodging far cheaper and the diving is better in Palm Beach County.

Supply and demand. If the hotels were empty, they wouldn't charge what they do. The cost to stay in the Keys is insane, but people keep coming.

I haven't been to Key Largo since 2017 and I've never been to Key West. I can find lodging far cheaper and the diving is better in Palm Beach County.
The Keys isn’t for the common working man/woman anymore/. they market to the wealthy. Unless you are into dunking and bar hopping, Key West isn’t all that. I’ve lived in South Florida for 27 years and been there once And don’t feel the need to go back.

The only way I can afford to go the Keys is when I bring my RV and stay a State Park and even that is up to $50 a night (and I’m bring my hotel room with me)

The only way I can afford to go the Keys is when I bring my RV and stay a State Park and even that is up to $50 a night (and I’m bring my hotel room with me)

We got a camping spot for $35 at John Pennekamp State Park in Key Largo but you have to book those almost a year in advance.

BHB access is limited right now due to construction. Can still dive it but it's a really long walk with your gear right now.
Yes yes, the bridge is a horrible place to go, don't go there! The walk is long, there are stairs, you have to cross the light.

/sarcasm :)

We got a camping spot for $35 at John Pennekamp State Park in Key Largo but you have to book those almost a year in advance.
Yes, we’ve stayed there but it’s not even $35 anymore. Now it’s about $55 after tax and “utility fee”. Best one is actually Bahia Honda but thats even harder to get into. They have 12 waterfront spots that are amazing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom