Dsat Technical Dive Training- Austin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paul19may

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Of less interest to those not in Austin, but if you are in the fair Capital, read on.

Scubaland is offering technical dive and cavern training which will encompass all training up to and including dives to 165' depth using several gas mixes in doubles with stage cylinders using accelerated decompression on 100% O2. (Trimix in 2009.)

The skill level and proficiency required for technical diving is significant, especially for the DSAT course, and the DSAT Deep Tech course will provide to you the skillsets and knowledge to enable you to safely execute demanding technical dives. The course is very progressive, well thought-out and intensive unlike any other diving course you will have experienced. Entry to the programme is straightforward but space is very limited.

There are tech trips planned for this year through to 2011 that many of you will want to be on. Some VERY nice ones.

To learn more about this great opportunity or just to learn more about technical diving generally come to Scubaland North on Fri 25 Apr at 6:30 PM for a brief presentation on technical diving, gear and the DSAT technical diving programme at Scubaland in particular.

Technical diving is not for everyone; but for those who are willing to accept the responsibilities, obligations and risks inherent in more demanding environments the experiences will be some of the most rewarding that you could ever have.

See you there. Paul

Is the 165' depth limit set by Dsat or the depth of Lake Travis?

Is the 165' depth limit set by Dsat or the depth of Lake Travis?

It's the limit for the DSAT deep air class. They will make you wrap your legs around a pole to shoot a bag too. :D

165' is the DSAT max depth for air as the backgas- similar to BSAC, CMAS, DKP, and a host of others- don't open the 'deep air' can of worms, once open, that can will be open for a long time.

Suffice to say that, with the exception of Bret Gilliam and those who know what a 'wah wah' dive is (don't ask), 165' is probably a prudent max depth on air- more a narcosis driven than O2 tox driven limit. IIRC, IANTD considers deep to be 130'+ and the WKPP, the forerunners to GUE and that crowd use mix (18/ 45, I think) at depths below 100' (I could be wrong there and it may be below 130'- but the message there is that at 165' on air is considered deep and a limit by many agencies. Also that at 165' mix may be a more sensible gas to use from a narcosis viewpoint albeit less so from a financial one.

I am certain someone will pipe up to correct any inaccuracies I have here.

I am certain someone will pipe up to correct any inaccuracies I have here.

LOL! Of that I am certain. :wink:

Pardon my first post if you've read it-I answered my own question (helps if I really READ it).

Where/how you doing the cavern portion at Travis?

165' is probably a prudent max depth on air

In the Caribbean maybe.

In low viz,cold water, a very silty bottom and large trees to get entangled in (e.g.Lake Travis) maybe not..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom