Drysuit Weight Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teller

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just got my first drysuit this weekend. I asked the shop where I bought it from if they had any ideas on where to start with weight. They said add about 6 LBS to what you dive with in a wetsuit. I use 12 LBS with a 5mm so I used 18 LBS with my drysuit. With my BCD and drysuit both deflated I could not sink. When I exhale my head would go under the water but as soon as I inhale I go right back up. I am going to buy some more weights but I dont want to waist my money and get more than I need. I also dont want to over weight myself on my dives either. Does anyone know a good way to find out a round about amount of weight I should be using? Also I did notice my feet trying to float as I was told they would. I was told ankle weights would really help this but that with a little practice I would not need them. Should I spend the money and get them? Thanks for your time.

What kind of suit did you buy? What kind of underwear are u using? What kind of tanks do you have? doubles or singles? What typr of reg do you have? Are u diiving bp/w or regular Bc?

What kind of suit did you buy? What kind of underwear are u using? What kind of tanks do you have? doubles or singles? What typr of reg do you have? Are u diiving bp/w or regular Bc?

I got a DUI TLS350, its a trilam and I used the action wear under garmets. I dive single AL80. I use a Mares Proton 42 Metal reg and the Mares Dragon BCD with Air Trim.

sounds like your first dive was slightly light. there is no formula, only trial and error. BORROW another 10 pounds in small increments and add it until you can sink, then add another 6 pounds so you can still stay down when the tank is near empty. After you have figure out how much weight you need then buy it.

I've seen a couple of postings where drysuit wearers carry upwards of 30 pounds. Is this normal?

7mm wetsuit w/hood = 22 pounds for me. + 6 means I'd be 28 pounds in a drysuit.

Get rid of the bc and by yourself a bp/w and see if that does not help with the weight. You will also have to play with the weight until u have it dialed in.. The trial an error thing is hat you have to do for now> LOL

Get rid of the bc and by yourself a bp/w and see if that does not help with the weight. You will also have to play with the weight until u have it dialed in.. The trial an error thing is hat you have to do for now> LOL

:lol: You BP/W guys are all alike!

My hubby is diving dry this weekend, up in Florida's cave country. He's up there, brushing up on his sidemounting skills. Was trying to figure out his weighting, in freshwater, with his drysuit. He dives with DiveRite's Nomad SideMount system.
Nomad EXP Sidemount BC by Dive Rite

> Dive Rite Nomad EXP Sidemount BC

Sidemount isn't just for cave divers anymore and neither is the Nomad. Worn with single tanks, doubles, sidemount or rebreathers, the Nomad EXP is a complete harness and wing system with 60lbs of lift. Popular with tech divers for its trim characteristics as well as open water divers wishing to transition into technical diving down the road. The Nomad EXP is one continuous harness, wing and buttplate system. The very compact design, that minimises lift at the neck, also makes the Nomad EXP perfect as an extended range diving harness and aircell. Also available as an option on the Nomad EXP wing, the dual upgrade incorporates two bladders to provide back-up inflation.

Streamlining is achieved by integrating the special Nomad EXP version of the TransPac® harness through wing keepers that hold the wing low across the back to reduce drag. Proper trim comes from the longer wing and a Gusset Control System (GCS) cord that is woven through tabs on the front face of the wing. The GCS cord is positioned on the upper portion of the wing, forcing the lower part of the wing to inflate preferentially, keeping lift around the divers hips where it is needed. Utilizing the special Nomad EXP harness, tanks are attached with a bungee and buttplate system that allows the tanks to ride closely at the diver's side, yet not be jammed under the arms.
The Nomad EXP comes standard with a 12-inch corrugated hose, a plain elbow, a 15-inch low pressure BC inflation hose, and a 2-inch crotch strap. If you would like alternate length changes to the hoses please describe the desired configuration changes in the special instructions box at checkout.
Optional sidemount nylon cord bungees with stainless steel clips and quick release snaps are used to secure tank necks to the harness. Available in 11, 13, 15, 17, 19-inch lengths, sidemount bungees are priced and ordered separately. The typical length when sidemounting tanks with a stage strap and choker is 13-inch for an 6-foot, 225lb man. The typical length when using the bungee without the choker is 17-inch. Petite individuals may opt for 11-inch and 15-inch respectively. Broad individuals might prefer 15-inch for stage strap and choker or 19-inch for sidemount using the bungee without the choker.
If you already have a TransPac harness, or wish to build a custom solution, individual components of the modular Nomad system are also available separately.

And he just found out about a new device, which will make his weighting so much simpler.
Nomad Weight Plate

Nomad divers who need to add weight to their rig will want the new Nomad Weight Plate. Designed to hold up to 16lbs of weight in four separate pockets, the Nomad Weight Plate attaches to the back of the Nomad using the existing grommets in the backplate. Two stainless steel assembly screws are included. Formed in the shape of the backplate and with dimensions of 8.5" x 14", it lies flat and isn't felt by the diver. The outside of the plate is covered with new, SuperFabric® brand material, a flexible, yet abrasion and puncture resistant material, which provides superior wear and tear protection.

No more trying to overlap harnesses over weight belts or systems. This is out of the way and he looks forward to utilizing it in salt water as well, where ii should come in quite handy.

Well, you have to start somewhere, right? PADI's rule of thumb, assuming "normal" gear and an aluminum tank, is 10% of your body weight plus 5-10 lbs.

If you have a steel tank and/or backplate, adjust accordingly.

Then go diving to get your weight dialed in! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom