Dry Tortugas Live Aboard Thanksgiving Day Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 5 are bringing both sticks and guns. And there are few others who are hunting that I know of.

It's been a bit chilly here in Florida lately. I'm in Melbourne (central east coast) Don't forget to pack some warm cloths. DTs weather is calling for night lows in the low 60's and daytime highs in the high 70's to low 80's.

Thursday's ride still looks bumpy, but it just keeps getting better as we move through the weekend.

I can't wait!!!!!!

Warm cloths?
Do I smell a toga party? :D

Weather does look sweet ... best pack a dive parka though.
Hot cocoa and a bottle of Bailey's for topside of the last dive each day.

DiveGal01:
My 5 are bringing both sticks and guns. And there are few others who are hunting that I know of.

It's been a bit chilly here in Florida lately. I'm in Melbourne (central east coast) Don't forget to pack some warm cloths. DTs weather is calling for night lows in the low 60's and daytime highs in the high 70's to low 80's.

Thursday's ride still looks bumpy, but it just keeps getting better as we move through the weekend.

I can't wait!!!!!!

60's will be a huge improvement for me! I will just love the high 70's low 80's during the day. I will put on a sweathsirt for the plane ride over which will take care of the warm clothes for me and not take up luggage space!

KEY WEST TO 20 NM WEST OF DRY TORTUGAS OUT 60 NM...INCLUDING THE
FLORIDA KEYS NATIONAL MARINE SANCTUARY-

THURSDAY
NORTH WINDS NEAR 15 KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 3 TO 6
FEET. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF 2 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.

FRIDAY
NORTH WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 3 TO 5
FEET. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF 2 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS A LIGHT TO
MODERATE CHOP.

SATURDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS NEAR 15 KNOTS.SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 3 TO
5 FEET...EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF
AROUND 2 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. ISOLATED SHOWERS.

Could be a bumpy weekend. Bring some TripTone.

FNMOC Link:
https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/CGI/ww3_area.cgi?color=b&area=natl
Answer Yes and then click on first row: Significant Wave Height.

I always trust FNMOC and use NOAA as a backup for info.

We won't be in the Gulf Stream. It's 56 miles south of the Tortugas. We're 'inside' the reef, aren't we?

DiveGal01:

We won't be in the Gulf Stream. It's 56 miles south of the Tortugas. We're 'inside' the reef, aren't we?

Ummmmm....not so much. The Tortugas are basically open ocean. Inside the reef means between the Keys and the Reef. For instance the water between Sombrero Reef and Marathon is inside the reef. There aint much in the Tortugas to be between. The forcast is getting better as the week goes by. A 3-5 forcast a few days out can easily become a 1-3 reality. Hope for the best. I am praying to the scuba gods to bestow warm air and flat seas for y'all.

matts1w:
Ummmmm....not so much. The Tortugas are basically open ocean. Inside the reef means between the Keys and the Reef. For instance the water between Sombrero Reef and Marathon is inside the reef. There aint much in the Tortugas to be between. The forcast is getting better as the week goes by. A 3-5 forcast a few days out can easily become a 1-3 reality. Hope for the best. I am praying to the scuba gods to bestow warm air and flat seas for y'all.

I was wondering about the 'inside' 'outside' stuff. NOAA says Key West to Dry Tortugas and then reports 'inside' and 'outside'. Hmmm....

I'm hoping for the best. Come on scuba gods - bless us!

I went on the Ultimate Getaway to the Tortugas once when we had 8 ft seas. I didn't get in as much diving as I would have liked, but I had fun none the less. We made some dives in protected areas. Yes, there are protected areas in between the islands. We toured the Fort. We snorkeled off another island. We told [-]lies[/-] uh, I mean, uh, dive stories. Your trip will be even better. Enjoy the trip!

I think this looks like we will be okay, still a bit rough, but doable.

GMZ075-221530-
/O.EXT.KKEY.SC.Y.0024.000000T0000Z-061122T2300Z/
KEY WEST TO 20 NM WEST OF DRY TORTUGAS OUT 60 NM...INCLUDING THE
FLORIDA KEYS NATIONAL MARINE SANCTUARY-
430 AM EST WED NOV 22 2006

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT

TODAY
NORTHWEST TO NORTH WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS...AND GUSTY THIS
MORNING. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 7 TO 10 FEET IN A NORTHWEST
SWELL...SUBSIDING TO 5 TO 7 FEET. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF 2 TO 3 FEET.
NEARSHORE WATERS CHOPPY.

TONIGHT
NORTHWEST TO NORTH WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE
REEF SUBSIDING TO 4 TO 6 FEET. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF AROUND 2 FEET.
NEARSHORE WATERS CHOPPY.

THURSDAY THROUGH FRIDAY
NORTH TO NORTHEAST WINDS NEAR 15 KNOTS.
SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 3 TO 5 FEET...EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM.
SEAS INSIDE THE REEF AROUND 2 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.

SATURDAY AND SUNDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS NEAR 15 KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE
REEF 3 TO 5 FEET...EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. SEAS INSIDE THE
REEF AROUND 2 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. ISOLATED
SHOWERS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom