Dry Tortugas Live Aboard Thanksgiving Day Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree Stu, the summer is the time to go, to many cold fronts move through this time of the year.

Divegal, thanks for the fantastic report, Sounds like everyone had fun, I read every word, I really wanted to know how it went, cause i was dying to go.

As for my trip down to Big Pine, we had a AWSOME time, rented harleys for a day, put 364 miles on them riding from Key Largo to Key West, and all over !!

Bad thing was I was still very congested, and book Thursday morning dives, Friday morning, Friday afternoon, Sunday afternoon, and Monday morning, dives.

Come to find out, I was congested alot, and could not clear my ears, and was sicker then I thought, though I was feeling better, but I coudn't dive, So I got one afternoon in on Friday afternoon, for the whole trip my self, and lets say, " did a ton of partying" IN Key West all weekend !!!

I really enjoyed the trip, though I didn't get to dive much, but we had a blast !!

I will book next year also for sure, but I'm not a hunter, and my 2 cents is, I can bug anytime just about all ready living here in FL, so If I'm paying $700 bucks for a trip, I could care less about a few lobster , just my 2 cents :) , don't want to piss the hunters off :)

But I agree, it would definatley help to have one or the other, so it's not such a mixed bag of diving.

Did they give any sortta a credit for coming in that earlley?

That means you really only had Friday and a short day Sat

Down at Key West, I had 78 water temps, but poor vis, was about 15' the vis. Sea's were 1'-2' at the most, at loowe Key the day I dove.

My friends had boats their own, and were catching a ton of bugs in Big Pine Area, and caught a bunch of fish, fishing, so we had some good dinners !!

FLTEKDIVER, glad to hear you were able to salvage your weekend. From your report, I think I would have rather been in the Keys. But then I wouldn't have met that great group of divers. Those Texas folks are a hoot!

Nope, we didn't get any refund or credit towards another trip. That kind of bummed us out. We did 4 dives on Friday and 4 dives on Saturday - no Sunday dives and no night dives. :(

We were really looking forward to hunting the Tortugas Bank, but that didn't happen either.

My next trip will be to the Middle Grounds - during the summer.

DiveGal01:
FLTEKDIVER, glad to hear you were able to salvage your weekend. From your report, I think I would have rather been in the Keys. But then I wouldn't have met that great group of divers. Those Texas folks are a hoot!

Nope, we didn't get any refund or credit towards another trip. That kind of bummed us out. We did 4 dives on Friday and 4 dives on Saturday - no Sunday dives and no night dives. :(

We were really looking forward to hunting the Tortugas Bank, but that didn't happen either.

My next trip will be to the Middle Grounds - during the summer.

Thats a shame you guys didnt get more diving in.

Thats the nice thing about these trips though, you get to meet great people, good company, and make some new friends.

Next Wensday is dinner at Chowders??

SteveC - I had the same question in mind. I think Blackbeards is more like primative camping compared to the RV camping on this boat. But I am curious as to anyone with actual experience.

never been on Blackbeards - but one major difference is that the Ultimate Getaway - you leave Thursday night so weather permitting you get Fri, Sat and 2 dives on Sun. (So a Maximum of 2.5 days diving) whereas Blackbeards is a whole week (5.5 days of diving)...if you look at the costs (without any discount) and compare durations then the UG is pretty expensive (705+40 for Nitrox) cf Blackbeards of 850....i liked the UG as I didn't ned to fly or take time off work but if you have to fly to Ft Myers anyhow then probably travel costs are similar Ft Myers & Freeport....

UG: In the summer (with more daylight hours and good weather) I managed 6 dives on the Fri and Sat and the 2 on the Sunday (14 dives) - this trip when the weather wasn't so good - I got in 8 dives (4 on Fri / Sat and none on Sun)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom