Dry Tortugas Live Aboard Thanksgiving Day Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marvel

Just me
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A few friends & I are putting together a 3 day live aboard in the Dry Tortugas leaving the evening of Thanksgiving Day & returning Sunday evening. We're booked on The Ultimate Getaway. If anyone thinks this sounds like a great way to spend their Thanksgiving weekend, you are welcome to come along- I'd love to turn it into a great, big Conch get together!

Here are the particulars:

Departure: Thurs 11/23/06 approx 7 PM
Return: Sunday 11/26/06 approx 5 PM

Day one:
Arrive at 7:00 am on your first dive site, breakfast will be served (before or after your dive, your choice). Then we will continue to move to different dive sites throughout the day. (Plan on 5-8 sites per day). You can pick and choose which sites you'd like to dive! Most dive sites average between 40-80 feet, we can customize to your abilities. Lunch and dinner will be worked into your schedules.

Day two:
Will consist of the same type of schedule. A visit to "Fort Jefferson National Monument" can also be worked into your itinerary.

Day three:
You will wake up anchored to the "Baja California", a World War ll transport ship built in 1914. The 266-foot steamship was carrying a general cargo that included tobacco when it was torpedoed just forward of midships by the German submarine U-84 on July 19, 1942. The main wreckage now sits in 115 feet of water off Naples. Read more about this wreck.

Your next dive will be on an Air Force relay tower, (A trip favorite!) Then we will be heading home, arriving between 4:00-5:00pm.

**Please note- there will be spearfishing on this trip.

Cost:
$705 + $40 for Nitrox

IF we get 10 people!!!: COLOR]

$576 + $40 for Nitrox

IF we get 20 people!!!: *****WE ARE THERE!!!

$560.50 + $40 for Nitrox

$100 deposti holds your spot- balance due the day of departure. There is a 30 day cancellation notice.

Trip payment can be done one of FOUR ways only:
VISA
Mastercard
Money order
Cash

No checks, no American Express accepted.

If anyone is interested, please make all arrangements directly with the dive op- none of us have anything to do with the financial side of this. They only require a $100 deposit to hold a spot. If we reach 10 divers, we'll let you know because the price drops significantly for all of us. It is important to mention that you want to book on the Marvel Mayfield trip, since that's how the original reservation was made.

Who's Going:

1- FLTEKDIVER (Marco)
2- lucky (Jan)
3- Sonny beaches (Sonny)
4- Zendiver1 Robert)
5- DiveGal01
6- Bobby
7- The Single Guy (Stevo)
8- Nate
9- Bob G
10- Packetsniffer (Richard)
11- stu_in_fl (Stu)
12- DawgDiver (Daniel)
13- Matteo (Matt)
14- netmage (Tim)
15- BlueDolphin (Linda)
16- ???***
17- ???***
18- ???***
19- ???***
20- ???***

***booked by Sherry under my name but not easily identifiable by SB or ZD screen names

Very Interested:

Marvel:
A few friends & I are putting together a 3 day live aboard in the Dry Tortugas leaving the evening of Thanksgiving Day & returning Sunday evening. We're booked on The Ultimate Getaway. If anyone thinks this sounds like a great way to spend their Thanksgiving weekend, you are welcome to come along- I'd love to turn it into a great, big Conch get together!

Here are the particulars:

Departure: Thurs 11/23/06 approx 7 PM
Return: Sunday 11/26/06 approx 5 PM

Day one:
Arrive at 7:00 am on your first dive site, breakfast will be served (before or after your dive, your choice). Then we will continue to move to different dive sites throughout the day. (Plan on 5-8 sites per day). You can pick and choose which sites you'd like to dive! Most dive sites average between 40-80 feet, we can customize to your abilities. Lunch and dinner will be worked into your schedules.

Day two:
Will consist of the same type of schedule. A visit to "Fort Jefferson National Monument" can also be worked into your itinerary.

Day three:
You will wake up anchored to the "Baja California", a World War ll transport ship built in 1914. The 266-foot steamship was carrying a general cargo that included tobacco when it was torpedoed just forward of midships by the German submarine U-84 on July 19, 1942. The main wreckage now sits in 115 feet of water off Naples. Read more about this wreck.

Your next dive will be on an Air Force relay tower, (A trip favorite!) Then we will be heading home, arriving between 4:00-5:00pm.

Cost:
$705 + $40 for Nitrox

IF we get 10 people!!!:

$576 + $40 for Nitrox

If anyone is interested, please make all arrangements directly with the dive op- none of us have anything to do with the financial side of this. They only require a $100 deposit to hold a spot. If we reach 10 divers, we'll let you know because the price drops significantly for all of us. It is important to mention that you want to book on the David Benoit trip, since that's how the original reservation was made.

Thank's Marvel, as I'm in also with you and David !! It will be a blast!!

I'm leaving a deposit tommorrow, and now I have another trip planned I can't wait for!!

Looking forward to diving with everyone, and more from SB will join us!!

Thanks again, looking foward to the trip !

This is a great trip, I've done it a couple of times. We could make the traditional T-day morning dive, have a quick T-day dinner and still be at FMB for the departure.......sounds like a great idea.......

Walter:
This is a great trip, I've done it a couple of times. We could make the traditional T-day morning dive, have a quick T-day dinner and still be at FMB for the departure.......sounds like a great idea.......

You in? <evil grin>

I have done this trip too. The Tortugas beautiful- especially the bat cave. The Baja California is a great dive too.

I'm still hummming on this one, especially at the 10+ price ..... Hmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

i'm going to have to do some heavy negotiating (read bribing) with my wife,
but wow.... i'd love to do this. never been to the Tortugas

Tortugas diving is sweet, and the big bugs make it even sweeter!
I've made some seven trips to the area, 4 on the Ult.G., 3 on Playmate.

Some of the reef formations are truly breathtaking.
I recall checking under this one condo head at 60 ft,
then doing my safety stop at the top of the same head at 20 ft.

Nitrox on the boat makes it easy to go 5-8 dives in a day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom