Dry Tortugas Live Aboard Thanksgiving Day Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

typo on the dates in the first post - I'm assuming it should say Thurs 11/23 to Sun 11/26

..sounds like it could be fun - I was trying to get on one of the photo trips in June - but both are sold out, so I could be up for this one...

....Marvel - are you coordinating the bookings etc. or people deal directly with Ultimate Getaway and just state they are with your group ?

stu, you make your own arrangements:

Marvel:
If anyone is interested, please make all arrangements directly with the dive op- none
of us have anything to do with the financial side of this. They only require a $100
deposit to hold a spot. If we reach 10 divers, we'll let you know because the price drops significantly for all of us. It is important to mention that you want to book on the David Benoit trip, since that's how the original reservation was made.

oops - you mean we were meant to read the first post :D ?!

matts1w:
Is it a sightseeing trip or a spear-o trip?

Given it is during lobster season,
I'd say you are free to spear, hunt bugs, photograph ... whatever splits yer finz.

Personally I don't go to Tortugas unless I can bring back some very large locals.

I'll probably hunt bugs for the first two days,
then get out the camera gear for the Baja California and Comm Tower dives.
First divers down on the Comm tower can quietly approach any jewfish present
and hopefully Not spook em off before the rest get to see em.

Not necessarily. Rick runs trips for hunting and trips on which no hunting is allowed.

O-tay, so is it a killing spree or a bunny-hugging lookitda-purdy-fishies trip? :D

I'm no fan of spearfishing myself (especially when sharks are involved),
but I -DO- Love the easter egg hunt approach of buggin'!

I would say that it could be both. If Donna and I go, Donna won't spear, she wants to sight see. The hunters are going to get away from everyone else anyway.

DennisW:
I would say that it could be both. If Donna and I go, Donna won't spear, she wants to sight see. The hunters are going to get away from everyone else anyway.

I am 99.9% sure the trip either has to be hunt or no-hunt. One cannot go in and out of the protected park with spear guns and dead fish and bugs on ice. I believe the Getaway is either "sightseeing" trip (Inside the park) or a spearfishing trip (outside the park).

I was on a hunting trip that went into the park first for some sightseeing and then left the park for hunting. It worked well. The reefs outside of the park are so nice that if you are sightseeing for critters, that works too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom