DIR- Generic Dry suit accessories most have

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a fan of socks stuffed into wetsuit boots.

Turbosoles were strongly recommended to me by my DIR buddies when I was getting a drysuit and I balked, to me they look to fragile. We have some rough approaches out here and my boots take a beating. My choice was made for me as the CLX450 I ended up with was used and I was too broke at the time to change out the socks. The rock boots that came with that suit didn't fit so I just stuffed the socks inside my wetsuit boots; no laces, no fin keepers, boots are cheap to replace and I don’t get air in my feet. I wear smart wool socks underneath; between the wool, and two layers of neoprene I've been good down to 40 degrees. I can also use exact same boot / fin combo when I get to dive in warm water.

FWIW, I’m not a fan of the stiff boots or converse either. On my Santi, I had the hard boots cut off and replaced with socks.

Not sure what to tell someone who forgets their boots except maybe diving isn’t for them 🤣
The turbo soles thing isn’t the end of the universe. If you’ve got some entries that are shredding your boots, something beefier might be required.

Custom DUIs are chaos now.

Stock is the way to go and have them lengthen or shorten sleeves and maybe legs as needed. Anything else is a gamble.
Once that woman who was in charge of custom orders left it went to hell in a handbasket. I can't remember her name to save my life but she was awesome. Its just easier to get a santi at this point. They have their pros and cons, but dui is in the sh--ter
Comparing the new DUI suits to the 20 year old DUI suits is interesting. The newer ones subjectively are of lower quality. I think there is a reason so many people switched to Santi's the few we have, have been great.
I only meant the new turbosoles to be clear. But I agree. The quality of my suit from 15 years ago was much better than the one I was trying to have custom made a few years back

What temperatures are you diving? I'm sure there is a range there so perhaps a better question would be at what temperatures did you have a problem with the wetsuit boots and attached socks?

Before diving became my primary hobby, I spent a decent amount of time in the high sierras mountaineering, backcountry snowboarding, and snow camping. Layering is key for variable conditions; not just changing layers but making sure the "system" is somewhat modular in that different combinations of layers can be used as needed but in the worst case scenario everything can be worn at once. Diving is obviously a bit as you don't have to hike everything in for several days so weight isn't a factor, but I believe the principle is similar.
Below about 48 it started to become uncomfortable. Air = warmth to an extent.

I agree about the layering that’s why I like the fourth element system depending on temperature I use either the halos, artics, Xerotherm or j2 in some combination.

I only had 5mm wetsuit booties so maybe moving up to 7mm would have helped but I also just didn’t find it that comfortable. The drysuit sock, undergarment bootie and everything just being smushed into the wetsuit boot just wasn’t super pleasant.

I only had 5mm wetsuit booties so maybe moving up to 7mm would have helped but I also just didn’t find it that comfortable. The drysuit sock, undergarment bootie and everything just being smushed into the wetsuit boot just wasn’t super pleasant.
Might have been too much mashed in there and no room for air and limited blood circulation. I've been scootering in 48° for 1 hour with no socks (forgot them at the condo) with neo socks and rock boots. I felt it but wasn't anything more than just noticeable. Normal dives down to mid 40s I wear a pair of Costco wool blend work socks and that's it.

Might have been too much mashed in there and no room for air and limited blood circulation. I've been scootering in 48° for 1 hour with no socks (forgot them at the condo) with neo socks and rock boots. I felt it but wasn't anything more than just noticeable. Normal dives down to mid 40s I wear a pair of Costco wool blend work socks and that's it.
Maybe but like I said I just felt like the santi style boots or turbo soles gave me what I needed and was just easier. I had both at the same time and ended up just having boots put on my backup drysuit.

Maybe but like I said I just felt like the santi style boots or turbo soles gave me what I needed and was just easier. I had both at the same time and ended up just having boots put on my backup drysuit.
This, like many other areas of comfort, are highly subjective to the individual. It's always good to hear a method or setup was found that works well for the person diving.

Turbo soles are basically integrated boots: some people prefer this to neoprenes socks because it may give a bit more flexibility and you go down one size. (Or at least that’s often the argument given)

On the negative side, it’s a bit harder to dry without some kind of tube to direct fan flow.
I like attached boots on my CF200 Signature Series custom measurement made suit. The Peet brand dryer using only 35 watts, and the nice adjustable extension parts, along with foot attachment pieces work well. I have to fold down to waist the suit to use the dryer, and the brace so the stuff does not fall over. I take care to use large diameter tube when hanging to dry before using the leg and foot drying process. When all done I lie it out flat on carpet with self donning zipper and protective zipper opened. If you have room to do this, the suit will thank you!

PS, the cell phone auto incorrect spell feature had me going back to correct the incorrect corrections

On my suit I went with a regular shoulder vent, not DIR. I don't find it hard to roll my shoulder to vent, but sometimes I wonder how much easier it would be with a DIR vent. With heavy undergarments it's a little tight to try and turn though, so I think I made the right choice🤷‍♂️.

I also couldn't imagine the suit without a little extra room added. Mine fits me perfect, but I'm down about 15 lbs since I ordered it too.

On my suit I went with a regular shoulder vent, not DIR. I don't find it hard to roll my shoulder to vent, but sometimes I wonder how much easier it would be with a DIR vent. With heavy undergarments it's a little tight to try and turn though, so I think I made the right choice🤷‍♂️.

I also couldn't imagine the suit without a little extra room added. Mine fits me perfect, but I'm down about 15 lbs since I ordered it too.
Actually that’s a good point: you need to size your drysuit to be able to fit the heaviest undersuit you’ll use and still be able to reach the valves.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom