DIR- Generic Dry suit accessories most have

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnydive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Why are the must have accessories for your drysuit? Planing to get seaskin trilam for DIR and maybe further down the road some GUE?

I assume you mean "must haves". For me I'd say the must haves are:
  • DIR placement of dump valve (outside of upper arm) for easy venting when you lift elbow
  • Pockets on outside thighs (I like velcro flaps)
  • Front zip (w/telescoping torso)
For longer dives/tech dives (cold water), I would get:
  • Pee Valve
  • Heating system
Nice to haves:
  • Glove ring system (I like Santi Smart Seals)
  • Neoprene neck seal (this is personal - I get really bad neck burns from latex)

Why are the must have accessories for your drysuit? Planing to get seaskin trilam for DIR and maybe further down the road some GUE?
  • A p-valve
  • Knee protections
  • Large cargo pockets with compartments and/or things to clip to.
  • A couple of undersuits for different temperatures.

For GUE, I think you probably want trilam and dump valve in the right position.

Turbosoles (no rock boots), cordura overlay on knees/ thighs, cloverleaf crotch pad.
I guess it’s like a socks? And I add a regular pair of boots later?

- Neo socks with proper fitting rock boots
- DIR dump location
- Pee valve
- Large pockets on each leg
- User replaceable seals (sitech quick neck & kubi. Sitech has silicone, latex, and neoprene options available. Kubi gives you the option to remove and replace wrist seals at your leisure)
- Quality hood with short or no bib. Waterproof H1 7mm is amazing
- Proper base layer for wicking sweat
- Good undergarments with enough room in the suit for them
- Zip cover to protect your expensive dry zip.
- Knee, back and shoulder reinforced
- Most importantly: colors that aren't black on black on black. Have fun and make your Seaskin a reflection of you.

I guess it’s like a socks? And I add a regular pair of boots later?
Turbo soles are basically integrated boots: some people prefer this to neoprenes socks because it may give a bit more flexibility and you go down one size. (Or at least that’s often the argument given)

On the negative side, it’s a bit harder to dry without some kind of tube to direct fan flow.

- Neo socks with proper fitting rock boots
- DIR dump location
- Pee valve
- Large pockets on each leg
- User replaceable seals (sitech quick neck & kubi. Sitech has silicone, latex, and neoprene options available. Kubi gives you the option to remove and replace wrist seals at your leisure)
- Quality hood with short or no bib. Waterproof H1 7mm is amazing
- Proper base layer for wicking sweat
- Good undergarments with enough room in the suit for them
- Zip cover to protect your expensive dry zip.
- Knee, back and shoulder reinforced
- Most importantly: colors that aren't black on black on black. Have fun and make your Seaskin a reflection of you.
I was thinking of ordering the seaskin undergarments. My base layer will be a merino wool pants and shirt. That’s good?
Also pee valve? Sitech apeks light monkey?
Do I need telespic torso and elastic back panel?

Yes, I've actually never seen rock boots here in Norway, everybody has the turbosoles. There's a lot of boat diving here, and for shore diving we would gear up right by the water, so mostly not a lot of trekking on land in the drysuit - don't know if that would change anything. They feel comfy in jetfins. Also, if they wear through you can have them replaced. Never tried the rock boots, but it seems like a hassle.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom