Dry Glove Insulation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Minion_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am wondering what everyone uses as insulation in their dry gloves. I have a thin liner in mine right now but after about 30 minutes in 48* water my fingers are cold. I have a thicker pair of gloves that fit in my dry gloves that I am going to try, but wondering if there is anything else out there that might be better.

Thanks.

Been pretty happy with military surplus wool liners. Fleece is OK, the thicker the warmer.
It's a trade-off between dexterity, ruggedness, and warmth.

Wool liners. I may perhaps have mentioned it once or twice - or thirtysomething - times before, but IMNSHO there's nothing even close to wool as a base layer if you plan on getting damp or wet at moderate to low activity levels.

My first dryglove dive is a good example. I messed up and had a leaking glove throughout the whole dive. I was so soaking wet that even after wringing the liner dry and putting it on again, I still dripped water on the deck of the RIB the whole trip back to shore. In below freezing temp and at 20 knots, I still was decently warm. Ok, at least not overtly uncomfortably cold. I wouldn't have liked to try the same with synthetic liners and a synthetic base layer.

I just went to Cabela's and bought some polartec fleece liners Cabela's makes they work great IMO

Go to your local running store and get a pair of wool running gloves.
Mine was $25 from a reputable brand and feel super awesome even down in 40f / 5c with only a pair of thin nitrile gloves (MarigoldG17K) over them.

No use getting a pair of gloves from a scuba company that charges $50 for the very same thing.

Do you use equalization tubes? I was on a dive yesterday with a water temp of 4c for 45min....I was using a pair of yellow acrylic glove liners that came with a pair of SHOWA gloves (490s I think)...as my hands got cold I would raise each one at a time above my body to let a warm air pass from my suit into the glove. It helped quite a bit. My dive partner did not use tubes and signaled that his hands were cold and wanted to end the dive.

-Z

I use ripped silicon seals in my system, so I just have open airway into the gloves, so I don't need to think about it. I have some smaller tubes that I can use but I have never tried them.

I dive a lot in cold water (-1 to 10°C) and I use 4th element xerotherm wrist warmers, which have the same function as tubes (but cannot be removed in case of glove rupture).
When water is +8°C, I use xerotherm G1 glove liners (these are great!) and below that heated gloves and vest from Santi.

I regurarly do dives of +90 minutes in that kind of temperatures without moving much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom