Draeger Ray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

350xfire

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hey guys
I recently came across a Ray and was wondering if this thing can be brought back to life? If so I would love to be able to find someone(prefer Tx) that can train me in the rebuilding, maintenance and use of this unit.
I know it is a limited use unit but I think it would be cool to dive it again... if possible and not super $$$$.
Thanks

Reactions: OTF
it depends on what you want to do with it.

Cheapest, easiest, and probably most useful use of one is to watch this playlist which shows conversion of a ray into an O2 rebreather

From there you can decide if it is worth changing to a CCR with the cost of putting sensors in.

If you want to keep it as an SCR, it is probably good to go so long as everything is serviced properly, most of the parts are pretty standard.

Reactions: OTF
Thanks, not looking to do anything super awesome with it, at least for now. BTW, it happens to be a Dolphin not a Ray! Has the large white plastic box in the back.

Goals:
Learn about rebreathers
Learn to service and work on this Dolphin

I'm not too sure about spending upwards of $10k on a modern unit and then spend a bunch of money maintaining computer devices, sensors, etc...

Who knows, may be someday I'll drink the Kool Aid!

Thanks

@350xfire if you have dive sites that are <25ft or so, then I would recommend just converting it to an O2 breather. It's easy enough to convert back to SCR, but it doesn't require an O2 sensor and will be much more analogous to a CCR than the SCR. Plenty of information on here and rebreatherworld about the dolphin. No point in posting over there anymore sadly, but lots of good historic threads about converting them

Gret info. Thanks

So does anyone know someone that can use one of these and provide training? Thanks

So does anyone know someone that can use one of these and provide training? Thanks
Suggest you go to the TDI website and search for instructors. They list which instructors for which CCR unit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom