Doubts about tanks for wreck penetration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsteding:
Lynne is not a real human when it comes to gas consumption. On a recent dive together, I was fighting some double 95s to the point where I used 1500 psi on a 51 minute dive that spent a fair amount of the time around 60 feet. My RMV popped up to 0.9 or a bit higher-it was one of those dives where I never really got in the groove trim wise (and this was one of my highest RMVs since I started diving dry-it has been getting down to 0.7 or a bit less in singles).

Afterwards, I checked her SPG, she used 600 psi of gas in those double 72s. That is like me taking a breath a minute.
Do the math, Doug ...

2 LP72's = 144 CF @ 2200 psi
used 600 psi = 39.27 CF
Average depth for the dive (I'll use mine, it's close enough) = 37 fsw = 2.12 ATA
bottom time = 51 minutes

Bottom line, Doug ... if you want to have enough gas to match with Lynne, you're gonna need double 180's ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

azcaddman:
no reel, just (2) 150' spools, each.

I'll take your word for it that you ran line, although I don't see any in the pics.

Personally, the last place I'd want to be is narced on a single 95 of 30%, bumping into deco inside a silty u-boat with no line.

TSandM:
Jim, you just need to come down and spend a few days in Seattle and hook up with some folks who can lend you various pieces of gear to try out. No point in shelling out a lot of money when you have the opportunity to try things and KNOW you're buying the right stuff.

Jim, with some advance notice I could sport you some double lp85s for a dive at cove 2. But I don't have any extra doubles regs.

rjack321:
Jim, with some advance notice I could sport you some double lp85s for a dive at cove 2. But I don't have any extra doubles regs.

We could make it two dives-you try a single 130 (which we've been talking about) and then use my doubles regs, or if I can't make it, I'll get my regs to rjack for you to use.

In figuring out what to dive, a lot of people have lent me gear-happy to pay those favors back.

-Doug

P.S., apparently, I need double 180s to gas match Lynne, anyone know where I can borrow some?

Wow. Thank you Doug and Rick! That will be as ideal as anyone could possibly ask for.

I have Doug's contact info. but don't have yours, Rick. If we can figure out how to coordinate all of this, I'd like to get together with you guys. Any weekend between the 21st of Oct. and Nov. 11th and 12th should work for me barring any surprises.
(Doug indicated he was committed to other dives for a couple of weeks out...)

Not to sound like a one man health issues kinda guy, I do occasionally wake up with a migraine so if it's possible to schedule a Sat. with a Sun. as a back up day that would be ideal. They're infrequent and so far, I've been lucky to never wake up to one on a dive day or charter day, but ...

I wouldn't want to inconvenience you guys without knowing for sure that we could get together on a following day.

The back thing carries no surprises, just choosing gear weight I can handle.
The migraines, well, can't predict.

Do you two want to coordinate and get back to me regarding a weekend that'll work for you both? Doug was interested in getting together up my way at Langley/Whidbey Is. possibly if that appeals to you more, Rick.

Thanks so much!

rjack321:
I'll take your word for it that you ran line, although I don't see any in the pics.

Personally, the last place I'd want to be is narced on a single 95 of 30%, bumping into deco inside a silty u-boat with no line.

Right, that's when you start seeing (or imagining you are seeing?) those nasty freshwater sharks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom