doubled alu. 60s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As it is I'm using 20#'s of lead, if I used doubled 80's I'd probably need 25#'s. Unless I used a thinner wetsuit: in class I was fine with 11#. But I froze in class.

I'd like to find a killer deal on a local steel tank, something I cn easily find a match for in a few years. The problem has been finding that deal. I wouldn't need a killer deal if I could sell some other scuba and paintball gear, but the problem has been selling that stuff :) I just get annoyed when I realize I have spent about $80 on tank rentals already, I could have bought a tank.

Have you considered going with the old double steel 72's? You can find these fairly cheap still and offer as much air as double 65's. You should be able to drop some lead with these also.

Sorry I meant to say double aluminum 60's not 65's.

engdiver:
I have a set of 50cf doubles that I get filled regularly. I have done the same thing as Scared Silly. Telling them to fill only one tank. My manifold does not have an isolator valve, only two individual valves. One above the right tank and one in the center. I shut off the center valve and have them fill the right one only. This fills both tanks though.
To be fair since I am getting 100cf fills I buy two fills for every 4 single fills to equal what I would pay for a single 80cf fill.
That's called a Benjamin Rig and there are those who think that's a better way to go than using an isolation valve. Here's Bozanic's write up.

I am open to buying just about anything, but all of the great tank prices have been not local, shipping would add money, and all of the local stuff is too much $$. Because I'm trying to buy a car, I'm hoping to spend less than $150 on a good tank. And by that, I mean $150 for two alum80's in great shape, or $150 for one good steel tank...I want a good deal, and I'm fine paying less than $150!

Right now I'm trying to sell a set of regs. US Divers Conshelf XII first stage, two LP and one HP port, but I put on a triple adaptor thing, so 4 LP and 1 HP ports. US Divers second stage (Supreme? It came with the first stage), Sherwood octo and SPG/depth guage. US Divers regs were recently overhauled, but the shop didn't tune the second stage well, they refused to fix it for free so I stopped going there. That would need to be worked on. The Sherwood safetysecond is old and has not been overhauled, but I've used it's sister reg (the other second stage is on my main rig) without overhauling and it's working fine, but I check it all the time, after every dive and beofre every dive, to make sure it still is working fine and no tears in the diaphgram. I've been trying to sell it for $150 or so, it cost $90 to get it overhauled, the triple thing usuallys ells for $40 (I got this as a gift from Clayjar), and it's in great shape. I've put on ebay twice and it didn't sell, highest bid was like $50. And I've got random other things, an old BC that I don't really like at all (not a high quality BC) that I'd let go for $30 or $20, might be good for spare parts for someone, it's diveable but it's not very comfortable. US Divers. Dacor depth guage, I'd sell it for $10. The bottom line is no one wants to buy any of it so I continue to sit onit. I've also been tryign to sell a PDA I don't use for $75, and all of my paintball equipment (too expensive to play) for $300, and no one wants to buy anything of mine. It's depressing.

where did you get that reg serviced? I checked ebay and there isnt any tanks for sale near us

I took it to Waterworld (cheapest place in town). I used it on one dive, and noticed that it freeflowed from the exhaust ports when I was head down, not breathing in or out. So, I took it to LLoyd Baileys (most expensive place in town.) to get checked out, mainly becuase I had gotten a new first stage, and had moved that second to the new rig as an octo, and I wanted to make sure it was all good. I specifically asked that they check the freeflow proneness. They charged the $20 for it too! I got it back and they told me it was perfect, no freeflow tendencies at all. Two days later, first dive on the newsetup, second dive for this second stage, I couldn't get the USDivers second stage to stop freeflowing, no matter what I did. So I truged back to the truck and changed it out for this Sherwood second. No problems with it then. I took it back to Waterworld and told them "Hey, I got this serviced here, and it freeflows uncontrollably after two dives. Can you please adjust it here inthe shop or something?" and they told me "no, we don't have the tools for it, we'll have to send it out. Do you want us to?" Since there was an implication that I would have to pay for it, I declined. All of the local stores use the same guy, and I'm sure it was just an honest mistake, but I'm still sore at Waterworld for not fixing something that I consider them to have caused: the gear came back to me in a shoddy state. And I'm a little sore at Lloyd Baileys too, because they charged me $20, only to find myself walking out of the water to change out a second stage while holding up dive partners. I'm pretty sore at both of them right now. At this point, I figure I'm safer never overhauling anything here in town, and I don't want to pay to have them screw up that reg, and I don't need it, so I'd like to sell it.

I've not watched ebay, but I've been watching scubaboard, Decostop and cavediver.net and have not found anything perfect for me yet, after two months or so. :) But I've gotten lots of other things for a good price on TDS.

If you would like, ill keep a eye out for tanks in jacksonville on ebay. I still go there about every 2 weeks so I can pick it up and save the shipping.

Didnt you have an old tank a while back that failed hydro?

I bought a bunch of stuff from a guy for $200 a while back, one of the things was a tank from 1987 which passed hydro with flying colours (tanks can expand 10ml permanently, and pass. Mine expanded 0.8ml permanently. :) ) but failed vip due to one thing that they thought might have been a scratch, but could also be a crack. Lloyd was the only guy in town willing to vip it. Waterworld told me "sorry, it's too old" and so did Aquatic Centre. In reality, alot of that is simply hogwash, and I've never been extremely happy with any local shop. Aqautic center is decent, but on the other side of town and they don't have much stuff to look at. Middly priced. Waterworld is extremely cheap, located on the other side of town, has a crappy looking shop externally but has mor einside than aquatic center, and I consider them to have screwed me over with the regs. I will send stuff through aquatic center in the future. Lloyd Bailey's is 3 minutes away (could get there in 2 if I drove fast :) ), charges exorbitantly high fees for EVERYTHING, but is a VERY nice guy. He spent 15 minutes searching everything in his shop to find me a snorkel holder once, and personally ordered one for me. He himself vipped my tank. His employees gave me a free zip tie for a mouthpiece once, but told me to stick it in my pocket fast when he drove up, apparently he wants them to charge $.25 for them. I like Lloyd more than any other people in town, but he charges way too much (no joke, he's amazingly overpriced on most things). His employees tell me that if I want to get somethign cheaper, bring in proof that other shops have it cheaper and he'll often go down to their price. His employees have told me they don't even fill their tanks at his shop, they go to Waterworld.

There was someone selling tnaks in Jax recently, I think. What are you doing in Jax so often?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom