doubled alu. 60s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior:
So, you could run independent doubles by shutting the center post, or run both tanks off of one reg by leaving the center open and connecting your reg to one post. right?
Right... unless there is no isolator valve in the center.

engdiver:
My manifold does not have an isolator valve, only two individual valves. One above the right tank and one in the center. I shut off the center valve and have them fill the right one only. This fills both tanks though.

?? I thought the isolator valve was the center one? And if you shut if off, air only goes into the tank that the fill whip is connected to, right?

I'm trying to find a really good deal on tanks, but Idon't know if buying double aluminum 60's will be a good deal for me :)

JahJahwarrior:
Hold on. I'm getting confused. What kind of manifold is that?

I think I understand manifolds, but maybe I don't. There are two spots to put on valves, one on each tank. Each tank has an on-off which only control whether or not gas enters or exits through the reg attachment (din or yoke), NOT whether or not gas can get in or out of the tank. So, you could run independent doubles by shutting the center post, or run both tanks off of one reg by leaving the center open and connecting your reg to one post. right?

Theoretically yes, but most peoole leave it open at all times.

question: if you shut off the left post, but have the isolator valve opened, can you breath off of the left post regulator? or is the left post reg also completly cut off by the left post valve?

There might be some confusion as some older manifolds lack isolators but have a valve/outlet in the center between the two tanks.

If its an isolation manifold, it will have 2 outlets and three valves. One valve for each outlet and one valve to close the manifold connector.

If its got two valves, no matter where placed, its a standard manifold. No way to isolate one tank from the other. Just a valve to turn off each outlet.

Now for the good trivia. Occasionally, you will find a single outlet, single valve dual tank manifold. This basically only gives you more gas, no redundancy.

dhampton82:
question: if you shut off the left post, but have the isolator valve opened, can you breath off of the left post regulator? or is the left post reg also completly cut off by the left post valve?

To breathe off a reg with doubles manifold, isolator or not, the post with reg must be on. If you turn off the left post, the left post reg is off. The connector (isolator) connects the tanks below the post valve such that you can from either post access the entire supply of gas (even if the other post is off).

So if this manifold where the odd, old type with one post in the centre and no iso, it'd actually potentially be nice, because I don't pay for two fills, right?

I'm going to go look at the setup sometime, the guy mentioned some other gear he has that I might want and I'll look at this then.

is there a diagram somewere of how manifolds work?

So, hm..... ok, if the left valve is turned OFF and the isolater valve is turned ON, then the right side regulator can still get the gas out of the left side tank?

I guess I dont understand valves at all

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom