doubled alu. 60s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Someone local is selling some doubled aluminum 60's. Made me wonder, if you took them to get filled, and a normal fill is like, $5, do you have $10? Same space as say a steel 120, but you pay double for it?? huh?

Never owned or used doubles, so I'm curious, so they usually charge you seperately per tank, even if the doubled tanks are small? I can understand if you had double steel LP 120's, but that's a rip off for filling double aluminum 60's!

Same space as say a steel 120, but you pay double for it?? huh?

Yep

but that's a rip off for filling double aluminum 60's!

That's why you go to the shop that fills by the cubic ft. And their is one up the road that does $4.00 a tank air fills and $0.08 a cubic foot for 32%............

All the dive shops I have gone to charge by the tank whether it is a HP120 or a pony 19. It is up to you to work out something with the owner. This is where being a known backer at your LDS has it's advantages. In other words, you support him and in turn he is more likely to support you.

correct me if I am wrong (I know nothing about doubles) but dont they just use one post to fill doubles? This is where Tony's post comes in handy, if you have spent money at the LDS, then they might give you a fill at the cost of one tank. If they dont know your face, then they are probably gonna try to make more $$ offa you because they dont know you.

Yes you only fill from one post. This why you open the isolator and just walk in and tell the guy filling tanks that only the left tank needs gas and to leave the right one alone. And then they only charge you for one fill :D.

The funny part about charging by the cuft is that what if your 120cuft tank is half full? Do they charge for 120cuft. Or do they calculate the gas by the pressure and charge you for 60cuft. What if you get a hot fill? Do they allow for that.

I guess this why I rarely get shop fills any more.

Last time I took my doubles to get filled the tank monkey connected one whip and then went looking for a DIN-Yoke adaptor to connect the other post. I thought it better to educate her as opposed to telling her to only fill one tank.

Got charges for 2 fills even though she only had to connect 1 wip and the tanks were half fill anyway.
Even though they are still the cheapest fills in town.

I have a set of 50cf doubles that I get filled regularly. I have done the same thing as Scared Silly. Telling them to fill only one tank. My manifold does not have an isolator valve, only two individual valves. One above the right tank and one in the center. I shut off the center valve and have them fill the right one only. This fills both tanks though.
To be fair since I am getting 100cf fills I buy two fills for every 4 single fills to equal what I would pay for a single 80cf fill.

Hold on. I'm getting confused. What kind of manifold is that?

I think I understand manifolds, but maybe I don't. There are two spots to put on valves, one on each tank. Each tank has an on-off which only control whether or not gas enters or exits through the reg attachment (din or yoke), NOT whether or not gas can get in or out of the tank. So, you could run independent doubles by shutting the center post, or run both tanks off of one reg by leaving the center open and connecting your reg to one post. right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom