Double Hose tools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So recently discovered double hoses. The wife picked me up a restored Aqualung Mistral and I was lucky enough to secure a RAM with Phoenix conversion. Since I’ll most likely have to do maintenance myself wanted to know what tools I should have handy outside the standard screwdrivers, adjustable wrenches and picks.

@herman makes some quality items at a very reasonable price, check his catalogue:

There are a few 'nice to have' DH tools which make overhaul more straightforward. but I found the must-have was the HP Nozzle Assembly Tool and the lightweight Regulator Vise Tool. SO much easier with these!

I also bought the Ring Nut Tool and the Body Wrench, as it can be tricky to disassemble an old crusty DH without them.

You might get lucky finding someone who is sunsetting out of diving and has some for sale, but as to new, I believe Herman ceased making tools a bit ago.....

Here's the tools listed for the DA Aquamaster in the U.S. Navy Diving Manual, 1970. I think the Phoenix conversion may require a few more tools, but these are used in the single hose too (probably Conshelf tools).

SeaRat

Attachments

• Aquamaster & tools001.jpg
    Aquamaster & tools001.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 60
Ok doesn’t sound like anything too complex. I’ll be sure to have my pre approved list of profanities on stand by just in case

Unfortunately I am no longer making the tools and do not have any remaining.
To service most of the USD/Voit DH regs you need some way of holding the body of the reg, something to remove the body ring with, something to remove the nozzle with and something to help assemble the nozzle with. A BIG adjustable wrench can usually get to the nozzle but the rest of the tools are difficult to substitute for and without the right tools, esp if the ring and/or nozzle are stuck, it can be very challenging to get them apart without damaging the parts. The tools are also really helpful to reassemble the reg as well. The job can be done without them if you are creative but if you have one that is not in good shape....corroded together as many are.. they can be quite difficult to get apart without damaging something and keep in mind, there are very few to no replacement parts available (body parts, service parts are still around for now) .

So recently discovered double hoses. The wife picked me up a restored Aqualung Mistral and I was lucky enough to secure a RAM with Phoenix conversion. Since I’ll most likely have to do maintenance myself wanted to know what tools I should have handy outside the standard screwdrivers, adjustable wrenches and picks.
Most of it can be done with basic tools and some improvising. To hold the body when removing the nozzle from DAAM/RAMs after the spring adjuster and second stage are removed you can put 2 cap screws into the work bench. Holding the body for removing the retaining ring, adjuster and second stage you can get away with soft wood jaws in a bench vise to gently hold it at the nozzle (allows the hookah port to be a stop preventing it from turning, so you don't need to clamp it tight).
There's an active vintage gear forum here:
And the VDH forum has slowed down but has a wealth of knowledge:

Respectfully,

James

One thing that has been lost in regulator repairs is that a 25 gram CO2 cartridge has the same threads as the LP port on most USA regulators, and provides a wonderful handhold for taking a first stage apart.

SeaRat

Appreciate all the info. Doesn’t seem as daunting as I thought it would be. Just need to stock up on some maintenance parts to keep on hand

Back
Top Bottom