VDH Phoenix HPR mod by James79

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scrane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Some time ago I posted a WTB ad for a VDH Phoenix first stage assembly for the DH Aqua-Master, and as an afterthought went fishing for an extra D washer that is used to position the upgraded second stage HPR assembly. The Phoenix is currently out of production, but the HPR is available at this time from Bryan at Vintage Double Hose.

With these two mods plus the Duckbill Eliminator, silicone diaphragm, and DSV mouthpiece you have a modernized DH regulator with 95% of the capabilities of the Kraken.

The Phoenix is a marvel of engineering that offers a balanced first stage with three LP and three HP ports and replaces the original first stage on the DH Aqua-Master. The HPR uses an improved actuator and pivot system that provides smooth breathing and adjustable venturi. One small complication is I find it a little difficult to securely position the HPR output in relation to the horn with the steel D washers provided.

A while after I posted the wanted ad I got a reply from James79 offering to laser print the D washers in plastic, and later offering a modified mod that could be used to totally block one or both venturi holes. The plastic he uses has the benefit of being slightly elastic, snugging up to the HPR barrel as the screw is tightened and at the same time acting as a lock washer to remain secure without over torqueing.

Since most of the assemblies involved in the Phoenix/HPR upgrades are not currently available these improvements are targeted to those who are lucky enough to have an upgraded DAAM. If you are interested, contact James79 on this board. I know that he has also been experimenting with cloning the flat DH backplate that Bryan has offered in the past. I don't know what the intellectual property aspects of the backplate are. Worth an ask if you are seeking this rarity.

Also, if you are interested in diving a modernized DH regulator none are currently in production. If you come across a used one I would snap it up.

Attachments

• 20211212_115212.jpg
    20211212_115212.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 20211212_115258.jpg
    20211212_115258.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 20211212_115336.jpg
    20211212_115336.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 20211212_120803.jpg
    20211212_120803.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 132
Ah, yes, the controversial Chiclet Mod. :)

James

Anyone know when we can get some duckbill eliminators?

Some time ago I posted a WTB ad for a VDH Phoenix first stage assembly for the DH Aqua-Master, and as an afterthought went fishing for an extra D washer that is used to position the upgraded second stage HPR assembly. The Phoenix is currently out of production, but the HPR is available at this time from Bryan at Vintage Double Hose.

With these two mods plus the Duckbill Eliminator, silicone diaphragm, and DSV mouthpiece you have a modernized DH regulator with 95% of the capabilities of the Kraken.

The Phoenix is a marvel of engineering that offers a balanced first stage with three LP and three HP ports and replaces the original first stage on the DH Aqua-Master. The HPR uses an improved actuator and pivot system that provides smooth breathing and adjustable venturi. One small complication is I find it a little difficult to securely position the HPR output in relation to the horn with the steel D washers provided.

A while after I posted the wanted ad I got a reply from James79 offering to laser print the D washers in plastic, and later offering a modified mod that could be used to totally block one or both venturi holes. The plastic he uses has the benefit of being slightly elastic, snugging up to the HPR barrel as the screw is tightened and at the same time acting as a lock washer to remain secure without over torqueing.

Since most of the assemblies involved in the Phoenix/HPR upgrades are not currently available these improvements are targeted to those who are lucky enough to have an upgraded DAAM. If you are interested, contact James79 on this board. I know that he has also been experimenting with cloning the flat DH backplate that Bryan has offered in the past. I don't know what the intellectual property aspects of the backplate are. Worth an ask if you are seeking this rarity.

Also, if you are interested in diving a modernized DH regulator none are currently in production. If you come across a used one I would snap it up.
I happen to have a late '50s DA Aquamaster with Phoenix nozzle, HPR second stage, duckbill eliminator, silicone hoses and mouthpiece and new design diaphragm., if you are interested. It needs nothing but a standard service checkup and it's ready to go.

I sold my Phoenix DAAM to Green Gas. It's on its way to Japan as I write this.

DiverdownDHR has a replacement for the Phoenix. It’s unfortunate that they aren’t being made anymore. We made a few changes which include upgraded a few of the fits to eliminate the body to nozzle leaks that can occur with some years of the Phoenix, adjusted the airflow into the IP chamber slightly to increase breathing capacity and used modern port sizes getting rid of the adaptors. The internal design is the same as the Royal/Conshelf…..Titan family and takes the same parts just like the Phoenix.

We did not chrome them, Instead we have been ceramically coating them. We have been dissatisfied with US chrome durability. We can closely match satin chrome.

Everything has been locally sourced and machined in the US which has helped maintain our supply chain.

We also have a new duckbill eliminator if Brian is out. It’s a different design.

You can talk to Jerrie at www.DiverdownDHR.com.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom