Doing rebreather class next year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP might want to read this on seeking depth for its own sake, this might help you understand why this is anathema to many tec divers.

OP might want to read this on seeking depth for its own sake, this might help you understand why this is anathema to many tec divers.

it is a very good read! A few things that I feel are far different from me and him is the willingness to put in the work. And the time spent reaching that goal. I am looking at 10 years out and for me to do many many dives in the 100-300 range. I am also willing to listen and take advice from any one who approaches it the correct way IE actual knowledge. Its one thing to lay out recommendations and the steps that they would take and another to call names because you can not communicate.

I'm a new RB diver, so I'm not gonna wade into this discussion very deeply, but I'll say this... The OP's posts make me think of a fellow who signs up for MMA classes just so he can be the baddest mofo at the local biker bar. Things might not work out as envisioned.
Where did you do the class at? And I see it more of the guy who signs up to the monastery high on the MT top and lives it for the next 50 years…

Half dozen dives a day to 30' for 30 minutes. That will rack up the dive count.
Remember quantity doesn't equal quality.

There are shops (thinking a lot of the midwest) that have cranked out dive masters with all kinds of cert cards, but they have never been in salt water. Never done a beach entry with some surf. They have there dive count and the dive master card. A boat dive might have been catching a ride on a buddies pontoon boat once. And none of the local lakes are over 60' deep either. But they are a master of the 50' local lake dive, and nothing else.

So.. While reading the first few posts on page 1, I was in the same boat as many of the people on this thread thinking that this was either posted to troll, or a guy hell bent on killing himself.

However, after reading through the entire thread and seeing that he is working towards this being a ten year project to get to 500', I'm more understanding of what he wants to do and feel that the comparisons to Doc Deep are a bit out of line. Doc Deep was hell bent on setting a world record in a short period of time and he didn't have the experience or knowledge behind him to do it safely. In contrast, this guy is hoping to go to less than half the depth that DD was shooting for and plans to spend close to a decade building up the knowledge, skills and experience in order to get there. These are HUGELY different scenarios.

Honestly, I think that if someone were to approach this seriously and spend several years of training, learning, and gaining significant experience one of two outcomes is likely to happen:

1. He'll gain an appreciation of the risks involved and maybe recognize that a personal depth record isn't really necessary.
2. He'll gain enough experience and skill to be able to pull off a 500' without much incident.

Either case, the journey would really be the important element here, not necessarily the final outcome.

Half dozen dives a day to 30' for 30 minutes. That will rack up the dive count.
Remember quantity doesn't equal quality.

There are shops (thinking a lot of the midwest) that have cranked out dive masters with all kinds of cert cards, but they have never been in salt water. Never done a beach entry with some surf. They have there dive count and the dive master card. A boat dive might have been catching a ride on a buddies pontoon boat once. And none of the local lakes are over 60' deep either. But they are a master of the 50' local lake dive, and nothing else.
100% it will! None of them are about dive count tho. I do every single dive with one skill in mind. IE I will spend a dive trying to tie different types of knot’s without gloves then the next dive do it in 3mill gloves. And the 3rd dive is in 7mm gloves! I dive for skills and practices I am amazed at how quick time will pass when I am screwing around with a rope at 30 feet trying to untie a knot with 7mill gloves on. Its actual makes me fear a entanglement with something other then fishing line! Its also made me better at keeping track of time and air! When I first started it I would be so focused that my alarm for 1200 psi would snap me out of it. Now I have learned to look at time and air every few min when working on skills.

Back
Top Bottom