Doing it Right

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott T C

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
DIR classes, something every tech or soon to be tech diver should take. Extreme Exposure in Florida does the courses (the makers of Halcyon). I am going to do their classes after my Commercial Training, but my one buddy took their course and couldn't stress enough to take them.

He said that they cut out all the "crap" that the industry as a whole has made the "norm" to make money off of. They teach you how to be a minimalist...how to dive completely safe, completely in control in any attitude, and so much more...all with the utmost safety.

I was talking to him in regards to doing more standard advanced courses and he stopped me and asked why I would waste all that money when this is the only course I would want/need to take. He even went as far as saying that once you take this one...you will not want to waste any money on the other courses.

I will post my personal reviews on this course once I go through it, but after learning a LOT from him...If he says its good...then it is.

All my tech gear is modeled after his setup. Minimalist mindset and I LOVE IT!

Anyone else been through this course or was looking to do it??

I've taken GUE classes and dive a DIR rig. I agree with very few of your impressions.

The focus, in my mind, should be the idea of diving as a team, not any particular gear considerations. In my experience, I find that GUE divers in my local area use significantly more gear, and significantly more expensive gear, than the non GUE divers in my area. The idea of "everything you need, but no more" is extremely subjective.

Furthermore, although I think that my Fundies class was the best value-for-money class I've taken, I took the class with a certain mindset that had been built up to with other classes. I don't think those classes were a waste. Additionally, although I very much like team diving and standardization, many people either don't enjoy or specifically rebel against these concepts. I would not claim that every diver should take these classes, or that other classes are a waste of time and money.

Last edited:
You're supposed to actually add some water before drinking all the koolaid. Pace yourself and have fun :)

You need to back off the coolaid a little and come back to earth. GUE/DIR training is great and can teach most divers a lot, but it is not the end all, be all and it is about as far from minimalist as you can get. It teaches you to dive safely in a team and is very well suited for the type diving it was designed for- serious tech diving but when dove in rec diving, it is no more safe than any other properly done rec diving although I will give you that it is more likely that a true DIR diver is most likely a much more competent diver than your average instabuddy. I hold a long expired DIR-F card and often times dive true minimalist.

When GUE began they used to say that they preferred to be small and did not seek to become a big agency like PADI and all their specialty courses. Now, of course, GUE offers Primer, Fundamentals and the long touted and delayed expensive OW class. As for minimalist gear, check out some of the items they sell;
Cinch_Kit09_web400.gif

Cinch system

Deluxe-Harness-Pads.jpg

Harness padding

Zipper_pocket_rig.jpg

Giant harness pocket

Gators01.jpg

Gators

ladies_front.jpg

T-shirts

20-heaterpacks_c400.jpg

Drysuit heater packs

GUE may make you a more competent dive buddy, but to call their approach minimalist is way off course. There is nothing new under the Sun. Everyone is in it for the money.

While there may be a lot of equipment available available at the store, I have taken multiple classes at Extreme Exposure and felt absolutely no pressure to buy gear or to change my existing gear. The classes I took from Doug at EE were very brand-agnostic (in direct contrast to other classes I've taken). In fact, although there were a few issues (like with high pressure hose length) there was never any time I felt like my gear choices were "looked down on" in any way. (This was, in fact, an incredibly effective way to approach me, as I ended up making significant purchases from EE after a couple of months...but there was no reason to think I would, bc I already had what I needed).

See my class reports if you are interested in some details. I can't recommend Doug highly enough.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/di...ver-class-report-doug-mudry-march-2011-a.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/di...eport-s-3-fundies-sessions-3-months-long.html

Ya but all that stuff is different than all the other manufacturers fluff because it is from Halcyon.

Go diving, enjoy yourself. Get yourself a good mentor, join a reputable dive club save your money and learn to dive by diving with divers that know how to dive and want to show others how. Go diving.

Anyone else been through this course or was looking to do it??

Many people on the board have been through GUE or UTD courses and you're going to find some strong opinions on both sides of the fence about it. There is even an entire subforum dedicated to it.

Good luck with your upcoming training.

You can bash the Halcyon gear all you want, but even their "bulkiest" gear still is nothing compaired to the ind. standard stuff out there; at least in my opinion.

I purchased their Eclipse System and love it. Saved me from having to purchase everyting seperate.

Guess I should have worded things differently, I was more wanting opinions on the DIR courses that those have taken...not a bash fest on DIR. :no:

However, you are correct (those of you above) when you basicly say; "to each their own", it is true. What works for one person doesn't always work for another. :)

Also...why are a couple of you saying that a DIR course is going to make you some; "non-sociable" or "non-companion/buddy diver"? I don't understand?

Back
Top Bottom