Does this 1st need service, or is it just low quality?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noj3333

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I'm still learning about checking my regulators with an IP gauge. The performance of this Cressi MC9 is not anything like my SP MK17/ MK25, and I'm curious is it because it needs service, or is it just a cheaper/ lower quality regulator?

Also, I couldn't attach the video, so I uploaded it on youtube, with the link below:

It's a balanced first and second stage, so it 'should' perform as well as your Scubapro. With that said, your Scubapro is like a fine German sports car, and the Cressi is more like a fine Italian sports car. It just isn't the same regulator. It can be tuned to work as well, but will lose it's fine tuning faster than the ScubaPro.

There is nothing wrong with the Cressi, it just takes more wrenchin' to be right. Use it as a pony bottle reg.

So... the IP gauge says it should be safe (ie it does not need to be serviced)? I didn't know if the 1st stage was creeping or not.

Last edited:
So... the IP gauge says it should be safe (ie it does not need to be serviced)? I didn't know if the 1st stage was creeping or not.

Yes it's creeping. When you purge it should drop, then immediately recover to the same pressure and stay there. You should leave it pressurized for an hour or so and see if it continues to creep. Right now it looks like it sort of recovers to around 130 and then slowly creeps to 140. If it stays there indefinitely it's ok. If not that's an indication that it does need to be serviced.

Kind of like audio equipment and speakers being where you "hear" the quality, the 2nd stage is generally more noticeable for performance than the 1st stage is, unless it's really not doing well.
Your video is kind of normal behavior, though as a balanced diaphragm I'd expect it to lock up a bit faster. It might (maybe) benefit from an overhaul if some parts are not well lubed.

Near as I can tell from the Cressi site the 2nd is a downstream compact. Well tuned it could do pretty well but maybe not as well as a good balanced, especially a larger face 2nd since that can have better leverage on the diaphragm. Reviews tout it as a dry, very light and comfortable 2nd. Seems the system is kind of marketed toward travelers.

Swap the 2nds between regs and see how that feels, even better if you do it on a dive and to A/B comparisons in dive conditions. Go to 60' and swim like hell for half a minute to push it. Shop testing only gets you so much.

(Note - make sure you have the venturi switch set right. I overhauled my SP 250, dove it comparing it to my SP 109 with a new downstream poppet and was dismayed at how poorly the 250 did. Then I discovered I had the venturi switch set wrong. :facepalm:Set it right, it was fine again. I generally just leave them open so did not check it until I got out of the water and was trying to figure out what was wrong.)

Yes it's creeping. When you purge it should drop, then immediately recover to the same pressure and stay there. You should leave it pressurized for an hour or so and see if it continues to creep. Right now it looks like it sort of recovers to around 130 and then slowly creeps to 140. If it stays there indefinitely it's ok. If not that's an indication that it does need to be serviced.

If prefer to see no more than about 5 psi between recovery and lockup. As such, I would probably adjust the IP pressure up a bit which should result in a more consistent lockup pressure. Once it locks up the rule I learned was no more than 5psi in 5 minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom