Question Does seasickness go away during the actual dive itself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,

So I know, I know, this is super dumb and I'm asking to ruin my trip. But I'm as stubborn as a mule, and I'm going to test my first boat trip ever by not trying any seasickness meds and see if I get seasick or not. I just don't want to buy seasickness meds if I don't actually need them.

Can anyone tell me if when hopping off the boat to actually dive, the seasickness goes away? As long as that is the case then I can accept the outcome.

Also, I know there's no way to predict if I'll be okay, but if I can read in cars, ride rollercoasters, and use smooth locomotion in VR games without getting sick, then is there a good chance that I won't get seasick?

Thanks to everyone to puts in the time to answer this stubborn newbie!
It was a problem for me when young.
I became super quick preparing my equipment and jumping in water, then waiting for the others on the bottom, near the anchor. Staying on the bottom did solve the problem for me..
Then when I was 22 I made my first holidays on boat, a full week on a small 10-meters cabin boat. The first two days were miserable. Then I took the "marine feet" and never suffered sea sickness again...

It was a problem for me when young.
I became super quick preparing my equipment and jumping in water, then waiting for the others on the bottom, near the anchor. Staying on the bottom did solve the problem for me..
Then when I was 22 I made my first holidays on boat, a full week on a small 10-meters cabin boat. The first two days were miserable. Then I took the "marine feet" and never suffered sea sickness again...
Marine feet?

Marine feet?
Italian slang, badly translated, sorry...
What's the proper English slang, meaning that you are used to the rolling of the boat, so you can stand almost stll while your feet are rolling around?

Seriously, the OP has never been in a boat?
Why would you need to be on a boat to be a diver?
There are a lot of shore and inland divers.

At that depth the motion of the waves is gone. Since the cause is gone the sickness is gone.
I've been at -6m where wave action was huge, but yes, at depth it becomes less.

Sharp waves are not a problem but rolling-swell that makes vision and balance contradict each other is much worse. Also, shutting your eyes will reduce motion sickness. Btw, don't puke in the wind. And be carefull. There's no dive planning when sea sick. This can lead to dire consequences. Once it did, at least.

New divers might not know of the old, non-med approach: Eat something with ginger in it. Like ginger snaps (cookies). Works for some people. Sometimes.

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom