Question Does seasickness go away during the actual dive itself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,

So I know, I know, this is super dumb and I'm asking to ruin my trip. But I'm as stubborn as a mule, and I'm going to test my first boat trip ever by not trying any seasickness meds and see if I get seasick or not. I just don't want to buy seasickness meds if I don't actually need them.

Can anyone tell me if when hopping off the boat to actually dive, the seasickness goes away? As long as that is the case then I can accept the outcome.
On my first boat dive, about a 10 minute ride to the dive site. As soon as we arrived I said to the DM, I felt sick. He asked me what I wanted to do and I said let me get in the water and see how I feel. Got in, felt fine, so down we go. About 10-15 minutes later in came on like gangbusters,, I was going to puke, DM spotted what was happening, came over and held my reg to my mouth, up we went, the moment I hit the surface I was sick.

Seriously, the OP has never been in a boat?
He may not have, and I am about to try 6 days on a boat, taking gravol every 8 hours

For me it does! as I get to 5m its instantly gone

So you’re trying to save maybe $10 by not buying the meds? 🤦‍♀️

And how much are you paying for the charter?

That’s batsh*t crazy.

I take a Bonine night before and morning of every Great Lakes charter I do. Cheap insurance. Great Lakes chop can be horrid. You get no relief.
Agree with this. When you’re sick as a dog, you would pay almost any price not to feel that way. Prevention is better.

For me it does! as I get to 5m its instantly gone
Not sure I know what you are saying? When you reach 5 meters in depth your seasickness goes away???

It’s pretty miserable (my two cents) to be sick and stuck on a boat with a pitching deck. My one trip that I forgot Dramamine, I got VERY nauseous on the way out to the dive site. One of the DM’s saw me not looking well and said “I can tell you’re sick, but I’m telling you…you’ll feel better when you get in the water.” I geared up, hopped in, and it was like someone flipped a switch. I felt better pretty much instantly and was fine for the rest of the day.

Not saying that’s going to work out like that for everyone, but that if you forget your Dramamine (or you’re too cheap to buy it:popcorn:), it’s worth jumping in to see what happens.

Just did my first liveaboard. 5 days, 6 nights, As a rule I get seasick within minutes of a boat ride.. Took a 12 hr. Graval pill every 8 hours... never got sick:yeahbaby:

I don't get motion sickness all that often, but I definitely do get it from time to time. I've only gotten it once on a dive, on a long surface swim out to the mouth of Whaler's Cove in Carmel, in really choppy conditions. We probably shouldn't have been out that day at all, but I guess we were being dumb tough guys about it.

We reached the spot where we would descend, and my buddy and I started fiddling with our gauges and gizmos, and just generally looking down at our hands. Meanwhile we bobbed up and down, up and down with the waves. We were comparing compass headings and shouting at each other, and I started to feel that, "oh s--- I'm gonna barf" feeling. I stopped talking to my buddy, froze, tried to stare at the horizon, and think of puppies and bubblegum. It didn't work, and when I started heaving, my natural instinct was to bend at the waist, which put my face in the water as I exhaled, hard. It felt like it took my whole brain to override my body's desire to inhale a lungful of seawater, and to relax my stomach to let my face out of the water.

Point is, I've learned to always carry dramamine with me, and will pop one if the conditions look choppy. Antihistamines take awhile to kick in, so it's good to swallow it plenty ahead of time. The other thing I learned was, once you find yourself feeling queasy on the surface, put your reg in your mouth! It's perfectly OK to toss your cookies into it if you need to, and the reg will keep you from sucking a bunch of saltwater down into your lungs. It really doesn't take much saltwater destroy your lungs and kill you, maybe 1-2 cups / 250-500 ml. Much better to worry about giving your second stage some extra cleaning when you get home.

Back
Top Bottom