Question Does seasickness go away during the actual dive itself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reqi678

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

So I know, I know, this is super dumb and I'm asking to ruin my trip. But I'm as stubborn as a mule, and I'm going to test my first boat trip ever by not trying any seasickness meds and see if I get seasick or not. I just don't want to buy seasickness meds if I don't actually need them.

Can anyone tell me if when hopping off the boat to actually dive, the seasickness goes away? As long as that is the case then I can accept the outcome.

Also, I know there's no way to predict if I'll be okay, but if I can read in cars, ride rollercoasters, and use smooth locomotion in VR games without getting sick, then is there a good chance that I won't get seasick?

Thanks to everyone to puts in the time to answer this stubborn newbie!

Can anyone tell me if when hopping off the boat to actually dive, the seasickness goes away?

Sometimes but is it highly variable. Individual susceptibility, sea states, and what you had for breakfast are just a few of the factors. It is far better to prevent it. Click here for great primer.

Maybe. Maybe not.

I am not prone to seasickness. In fact, I have been seasick exactly once in my life. It was on a boat off Key Largo, when another guy and I were working on our instructor certifications. The plan was for both of us to brief our pretend student (our instructor) on the boat, get into the water, have me act as the instructor for the first third of the dive, just dive for the next third, and have the other student act as the instructor for the remainder of the dive. As soon as the boat moored, it began to pitch strangely in the waves, and both of us got immediately seasick. Very seasick. We decided to go ahead with the planned dive anyway.

As soon as I was under water, I felt perfectly fine. I acted as the instructor for the first third of the dive as planned without a problem. When we began the "just diving" portion of the dive, our instructor summoned me and had me adjust the top of his wetsuit zipper. We looked like a jet being refueled in flight as I hovered above him. I finished the task and was reaching around to give him the OK signal when the seasickness returned with a vengeance. I vomited as he started to swim off, and the cloud of vomit was above him as he swam away, completely unaware.

I immediately felt fine. I took the regulator out of my mouth so I could give both my mouth and my regulator a rinse, and then went on with the dive with no problems.

For me, yes 100%.

From the time the boat stops to the moment i get in I'm usually queezy and trying not to puke. I can sit on the surface bobing up and down without issues though

Maybe, maybe not. I'm prone to seasickness, for it depends on how bad the seas are, time on boat rocking, time on surface bobbing around, etc.

My recommendation, take your motion sickness meds.

... Can anyone tell me if when hopping off the boat to actually dive, the seasickness goes away? As long as that is the case then I can accept the outcome. ...
Possibly. Be ready to splash as soon as the captain tells you "pool's open!", and get below the surface immediately--especially if seas are the least bit "confused." Discuss with the captain ahead of time if it's okay with him/her for you to wait on the anchor/mooring line at 10 or 15 fsw for the other divers (if he/she wants you all to descend together).

Maybe, don't be close-focusing on anything as you get ready to splash. (Look out at the horizon.) Be fully suited up, ready to dive, when the boat stops.

I personally cannot eat/drink anything remotely greasy (fried eggs, sausage) or acidic (orange juice, pineapple) before a dive. Toast or oatmeal or similar, only, for me, before a dive.

rx7diver

I am very prone to seasickness - actually, any kind of motion sickness. The things you describe doing (reading in the car, rollercoasters, etc) would trigger me every time. First boat dive I did was down in the Keys; a storm had gone through earlier in the day and the seas were rough. I got sick as a dog on the way out to the dive site - I mean, I could barely stand up to get my gear on. Once I got in the water, though, I was fine. Then I got back on the boat and was instantly sick again. Good times.

My wife and I cruise a few times a year, and I take a Bonine every day. I don't care if the seas are flat calm, it's incredibly cheap insurance to avoid having a day ruined. You might be fine on a dive boat, you might not be. You're the only person who knows whether the chance of being sick as a dog (and maybe unable to dive) is worth avoiding taking a Bonine. Personally, I'd rather not risk it, but I know I'm susceptible to it.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences! Good to hear that for the most part, the actual diving part is fine.

Gearing up while looking down in a zodiac with reflections making washing-machine conditions... I would get seasick. I would jump in the water ASAP and finish the final gear donning. In really bad cases, blew chunks (in the reg, then purge; rinse a few times after the involuntary action was done) and all was well.

Given your reading, etc., I doubt you'd be susceptible, but some conditions or any given day may set you off. Eyes up helps immensely.

Can anyone tell me if when hopping off the boat to actually dive, the seasickness goes away? As long as that is the case then I can accept the outcome.
Sea sickness is caused by the waves.
At 18 feet you will not be happy.
30 or 60 feet down there are no waves, hopefully.
Also, I know there's no way to predict if I'll be okay, but if I can read in cars, ride rollercoasters, and use smooth locomotion in VR games without getting sick, then is there a good chance that I won't get seasick?
True

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom