Question Does seasickness go away during the actual dive itself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am susceptible and if the conditions are really bad (swell in the water) have been seasick at any depth. However, it is extremely rare to be affected beyond 20 feet or so.

The cost of seasick meds is infinitesimal compared to the cost of ruining a trip by feeling miserable and even if you don’t get sick while in the water being sick getting to the dive will mean being uncomfortable for some part of the dive as you body recovers.

I get really seasick. Once in the water I am fine, unless the waves are making everything go back and forth. Easy for me to feel seasick again on safety stop if there is wave movement. And to throw up.

I am not prone to seasickness. In fact, I have been seasick exactly once in my life. It was on a boat off Key Largo, when another guy and I were working on our instructor certifications.
Same here, not very susceptible only one instance. Same location even.

Checkout dive for my OW many years ago. I seem to remember we were diving the City of Washington off of a Capt Slate boat. Several groups going down with instructors at staggered intervals. My group was the first in and first up. Waves had kicked up a bit during the dive. So, as we waited, I started to get seasick. I tried various positions on the boat, but none helped. Finally asked the crew if I could jump in and hang on the tag line. That helped immediately. Never puked, but others were not so lucky.

I had one memorable moment during a surface interval in the area near Deerfield Beach. The sea was rough. I wasn't bothered, but lots of people were. As I was getting into my gear for the second dive, a diver was on each side of me, hanging over the rail while puking. When they were done, they geared up and did the dive.

On a dive boat I have used in that vicinity, in the standard opening briefing, the skipper always pointed to the best spot for puking, advising divers to go for distance.

I’ve only been seasick once, when I jumped in and descended it mostly went away. It came back when I got back on the boat. Jumped in for the second dive and it didn’t go away as much….I threw up through my reg and called the dive.

According to my daughter it does, and she starts seasick meds the night before and still suffers unless it is flat on the way out.

Hi all,

So I know, I know, this is super dumb and I'm asking to ruin my trip. But I'm as stubborn as a mule, and I'm going to test my first boat trip ever by not trying any seasickness meds and see if I get seasick or not. I just don't want to buy seasickness meds if I don't actually need them.

Can anyone tell me if when hopping off the boat to actually dive, the seasickness goes away? As long as that is the case then I can accept the outcome.

Also, I know there's no way to predict if I'll be okay, but if I can read in cars, ride rollercoasters, and use smooth locomotion in VR games without getting sick, then is there a good chance that I won't get seasick?

Thanks to everyone to puts in the time to answer this stubborn newbie!

So you’re trying to save maybe $10 by not buying the meds? 🤦‍♀️

And how much are you paying for the charter?

That’s batsh*t crazy.

I take a Bonine night before and morning of every Great Lakes charter I do. Cheap insurance. Great Lakes chop can be horrid. You get no relief.

So you’re trying to save maybe $10 by not buying the meds? 🤦‍♀️

And how much are you paying for the charter?

That’s batsh*t crazy.

I take a Bonine night before and morning of every Great Lakes charter I do. Cheap insurance. Great Lakes chop can be horrid. You get no relief.
Yup, it's dumb, but my monkey brain is killing me from curiosity! It's not even about the money. :fear:I've already decided to test it out, and then I'll go back to using common sense for a future trip.

There's a lot of votes for Bonine though so that'll be good after my monkey brain is sated :)

I only seem to get sick in small boats sitting on choppy water or waiting at the surface. No issues with roller coasters or cars or any of that. Once the boat drives off or after diving down about 5ft or so it goes away. Sometimes pickles seem to settle my stomach. But honestly it’s one of those scenarios where it wouldn’t hurt to take the meds, as if you do end up being sick you might have to deal with it for awhile.

I used to play tough, sometimes queasey sometimes not but I don't throw up
and then sometimes I get queasy shore diving may leave quickly or it may not

I'm with Marie13

Back
Top Bottom