Does Leisure Pro ever sell fake stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mblackham:
To all ScubaBoard Bloggers,

I had a very interesting conversation with my LDS this evening in SLC Utah about Leisure Pro. I told him I was thinking of buying some scuba equipment from Leisure Pro, and I must say, I was not expecting the reaction I received. To say the least, it was very negative toward LP. During all his ranting and raving, he said one thing that caught my attention and I wanted to glean from the infinite knowledge that can be found on these forums. He said "LP makes fake stuff" and they get it from the "grey market"! First off, is there any validity to the first comment? If so, how are they able to make fake life support equipment, such as: regulators and BCs? Second, (sorry, I am a little obtuse) what is the "grey market" and where does LP get their equipment from? The LDS said Scuba Pro and other larger scuba companies don't allow LP and other online shops to sell their products and do not support them in their selling of their "grey market" goods. Just some quandaries and questions I would love to have answered.

Fake stuff????...I'll believe it when someone reports here they bought a tank from them & it turned out to be made of plastic or paper......You'll have to define fake better to me...........btw, I don't work there , own any part of the company nor do I have stock in it.......

Marek K:
As one example of LP's "grey market," I recently bought an Oceanic Veo 180 computer for my son through LP. (I'd just bought two Aeris Atmos 2's from ScubaToys, but wanted specifically an Oceanic for my son... and ST didn't offer them.)

The Veo 180 came brand-new in the original box, with all the accessories. But while some of the documentation was in English, the owner's manual was in Spanish. Hmmm... wonder where the source of that was?

I e-mailed LP, and they apologized and are sending an English-language manual right away.

Inconvenient? Maybe... but I think worth it.

Their Oceanic prices now seem to be unfortunately rising quickly, I assume with the rumors that Oceanic is about to make them an authorized dealer. And that means that it's going to be tough to find good Oceanic deals elsewhere, too...

--Marek

Glad I bought my Veo 180 from them in Jan(& not now)............

scubatoys:
Actually, there was at least one case that I am aware of where LP did sell "fake stuff". It was a case where they had BC's that were exact copies of a legit brand... and someone got hurt diving with it and a lawsuit ensued. When the manufacturer got into the suit, they examined the BC and saw that there were no serial numbers on the jacket, and the power inflator mechanism was not theirs.

In the suit, one side claimed that they did not know they were not original product, that a supplier had switched them on them - and the case settled out of court for an undisclosed amount of money.

Perhaps this was an isolated incident, and it was about 15 years ago.

The big thing most point out with LP products is that for many of the brands they carry they are not authorized dealers, so there is no manufacturers warranty. An authorized dealer has restraints on them because of the "MAP" policy - (Minimum advertised price). That means if a product has a "MAP" we must show a certain price on our web page. Now, if someone calls us up - we can match any price - and extend a full manufacturers warranty... we just can't advertise it.

Actually the legality of MAP programs is before the Supreme Court now, and a ruling is expected in the fall. Some feel that with a heavy republican appointed court - normally ruling in favor of business instead of the consumer, the MAP policy will be upheld - but it could go either way. Until it gets abolished, we will have to run our business showing the MAP price on products, and folks have to call for additional discounts... but heck... that's ok. We like talking to our customers anyway! :wink:

15 y.a.???...you're to old to remember that far back.........

I’m glad to see a somewhat positive reaction to my first few posts here, many thanks to Aelvin and coach izzy for the welcome messages and sharing their positive experiences. I will pass on the thanks to Ben too, I know he works hard in the store all the time and will appreciate the thanks. I also look forward to being able to defend Leisure Pro against the sometimes crazy things that are said and in general just taking part in this community.

Brett

Brett, welcome to SB. There certainly is a lot of ludicrous stuff being said about LP on this and other boards. however, i'd say the vast majority is positive. you guys broke the mold and started it all and now there are several businesses following in your footsteps - all for the good of the diver. i am very fortunate that you are close enough to also be my LDS. LP rocks!

Brett, you should start an "Ask Leisure Pro" thread.

(maybe in basic scuba discussion or in one of the gear forums)

This might help put a stop to the rumors that some LDS's say that all LP stuff is fake, borken, or any other question.

I think your public image would be more positive if everything on your site was marked showing it's full status, for example: "new inventory, full mfg warranty", "discontinued", "replaced by new model", "no manufacturer's warranty","imported from outside the US", "repurchased from retail dealer", etc.

Although people like a bargain, they don't like feeling that they need to be a detective to figure out what they're really getting, and how much help the manufacturer is likely to be if they need service.

All it would take is better labeling, so the customers could make informed decisions.

Terry

Leisure Pro Brett:
I’m glad to see a somewhat positive reaction to my first few posts here, many thanks to Aelvin and coach izzy for the welcome messages and sharing their positive experiences. I will pass on the thanks to Ben too, I know he works hard in the store all the time and will appreciate the thanks. I also look forward to being able to defend Leisure Pro against the sometimes crazy things that are said and in general just taking part in this community.

Brett

Web Monkey:
I think your public image would be more positive if everything on your site was marked showing it's full status, for example: "new inventory, full mfg warranty", "discontinued", "replaced by new model", "no manufacturer's warranty","imported from outside the US", "repurchased from retail dealer", etc.

Although people like a bargain, they don't like feeling that they need to be a detective to figure out what they're really getting, and how much help the manufacturer is likely to be if they need service.

All it would take is better labeling, so the customers could make informed decisions.

Terry

Very good suggestion

Leisure Pro Brett:

Brett

Here's a question for you, Brett, "A customer purchases an $800 computer, a $400 regulator and a $35 light. A year later, the computer housing cracks and the unit floods. The regulator chrome flakes off the first and second stages revealing brass and starts to corrode. Finally, the light floods when the housing splits. What does LP do with this equipment when it is returned under warranty by the customer?"

DiversDiscountFlorida:
..A year later, the computer housing cracks and the unit floods. The regulator chrome flakes off the first and second stages revealing brass and starts to corrode. Finally, the light floods when the housing splits..

Dang! That is either really S8tty gear or a really clumsy owner! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom