Does Leisure Pro ever sell fake stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiversDiscountFlorida:
Here's a question for you, Brett, "A customer purchases an $800 computer, a $400 regulator and a $35 light. A year later, the computer housing cracks and the unit floods. The regulator chrome flakes off the first and second stages revealing brass and starts to corrode. Finally, the light floods when the housing splits. What does LP do with this equipment when it is returned under warranty by the customer?"
Flaking chrome is a bad plating job. Damaged chrome is, well . . . damage.

The cracked computer and light are pretty much 100% guaranteed abuse. I'd tell the customer to keep his stuff in a padded case and not in the trunk next to the spare tire and the jack.

Terry

PhilEllis:
Guys, we all KNOW the answer to these questions! It is IMPOSSIBLE for ANY scuba store that does a volume estimated to be over $20 million per year to be getting their merchandise WITHOUT the knowledge and agreement of the manufacturer. So, I would be they turn to the place from which it came for repair and replacement. It is so simple!

That depends on the deal with the manufacturer. Some stuff (I have no specific knowledge of LP) is sold by the manufacturer on a "we never want to see it or hear from it again" basis. I bought truckloads of cheap "dorm room" refrigerators like that for a few years.

OTOH, the stuff sold like this is generally such a good deal that the retailer is happy to eat the wrranty costs.

Terry

SparticleBrane:
After such a ridiculous attempt to pin a question on LeisurePro, I'll make sure I don't shop at DiversDiscountFlorida.
I think the question was an honest attempt to get an answer on three different items with three classic types of "damage." Give them a break, DiversDiscountFlorida is just making LP's case when (and if) LP says, "we replace the gear and either return it to the manufacturer for credit or eat the loss."

Web Monkey:
That depends on the deal with the manufacturer. Some stuff (I have no specific knowledge of LP) is sold by the manufacturer on a "we never want to see it or hear from it again" basis. I bought truckloads of cheap "dorm room" refrigerators like that for a few years.

OTOH, the stuff sold like this is generally such a good deal that the retailer is happy to eat the wrranty costs.

Terry

You are assuming that LP doesn't just send the stuff back to the manufacturer for repair JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE! This "myth" about this gear being somehow "detached" from the original manufacture is just that....a myth. Anyway, my OPINION!

Phil Ellis

Thalassamania:
I think the question was an honest attempt to get an answer on three different items with three classic types of "damage." Give them a break, DiversDiscountFlorida is just making LP's case when (and if) LP says, "we replace the gear and either return it to the manufacturer for credit or eat the loss."

No, they are trying to slam LP. It did not work.

Thalassamania:

Heck no! The post gave the impression that Leisure Pro sells crappy gear (which they don't) and if anything happens, well, you'd be out of luck because of the lack of manufacturer's warranty (Leisure Pro also has their own warranty which they have no problem honoring)

I have YET to meet a diver in the NY/Northern NJ area that has not made the trip to LP or ordered from them online. NONE of those divers (at least the ones I know) have had the kind of experience implied with any gear bought from Leisure Pro.

BTW, when my regulator started flaking the chrome off was AFTER I took it to my then LDS for its very first overhaul and that tool tech of theirs scratched the living heck out of it. Needless to say the Dive Shop refused to replace it, never mind I bought the regulator there, was still under warranty, and their tech scratched it. I learned to overhaul my own reg and ever since I take care of it.

If somebody came to me with that kind of damage to their gear after about a year, I would conclude that such person is either physically weak and keeps crashing the gear on the boat or shore, or extremely careless. I seriously doubt that any warranty covers clumsiness. I know some dive shops will be willing to exchange or return, but I do not know how they will evaluate the gear and conclude whether the damage is covered by the warranty or not.

The only down side to all this is.....what will we do when the LDS fold and close down? Where will we get our air fills? Where will we buy that last minute item, like a snorkel keeper or a pair of booties the day before you leave for a trip? I'd hate to see the demise of the LDS in Australia, and I do see this as a definite possibility as they just do such a lousy job trying to compete for retail sales. At the best they'll offer you 10% off a $500 reg that you can get off leisurepro for $200 or less! After sales and service is important but not worth paying twice as much for!

Wiggsy:
The only down side to all this is.....what will we do when the LDS fold and close down? Where will we get our air fills? Where will we buy that last minute item, like a snorkel keeper or a pair of booties the day before you leave for a trip? I'd hate to see the demise of the LDS in Australia, and I do see this as a definite possibility as they just do such a lousy job trying to compete for retail sales. At the best they'll offer you 10% off a $500 reg that you can get off leisurepro for $200 or less! After sales and service is important but not worth paying twice as much for!
There are alternative models that mnay make more sense in today's world. Perhaps a club, like a gym, that has a pool, gear for rent, compressor, maybe it's own boat(s) and resort(s). Contract with the independent instructor of your choice. You don't need to sell gear, leave that to the net.

Back
Top Bottom