Dock fees have jumped the shark at the Cozumel Palace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course, without asking 3P or the taxi union I cannot know for sure, but seeing as they have been doing it openly for years it seems unlikely to me that they would just be getting away with it.
Well I looked. They are kinda loose talking about it on their website too. Still....

Maybe 3P makes a periodic contribution to the Taxi Driver Benevolent Fund? :D

Well, contributions facilitate everything there so... But there are SO many taxi drivers, I have to wonder?

I mean they stopped like 2 or 3 tour buses of national (Mexican) tourists that were travelling through a lot of Mexico and came over on the car ferry. They made every single one get out and get in a taxi....

Well, contributions facilitate everything there so... But there are SO many taxi drivers, I have to wonder?

I mean they stopped like 2 or 3 tour buses of national (Mexican) tourists that were travelling through a lot of Mexico and came over on the car ferry. They made every single one get out and get in a taxi....
I remember those incidents and others; that is why I have surmised that 3P has worked something out at the union level as opposed to "contributing" to individual drivers.

To answer some questions, it seems easier said than done to get on the boat from the beach BUT...

If there is wave or wind action it will stir up the bottom then you cannot see where you are stepping. This happens more often than you think in 2-3 feet of water right at the waters edge. The shore where I do this is a mix of sand and ironshore. If you have been to Bonaire, its like an easy Bonaire entry. I am not afraid to wade in, nor am I alarmist, but if the bottom is cloudy this would be dangerous and you better be wearing hard bottom boots.

Speaking only for 3P, those guys are pros at this.
We would wade in Day 1. Drop off would be a quick action dock drop off where you get out before anyone realizes then hustle off. Day 2 would be similar. By Day 3 they are picking you up on the dock because they know exactly what you look like and tell you ahead of time to move fast. You just jump in the boats before anyone knows what the hell is going on acting like a confused tourist and the moment you are on they fly off. On multiple occasions we have been dropped off into the shop boats (!!!) and crossed them to get to the dock with the boat hands for the shop actually helping us. I get the impression 3P guys enjoy sticking it to the man almost like its little challenge to outwit the pier police and drop us off on the dock.

ymmv....

To answer some questions, it seems easier said than done to get on the boat from the beach BUT...

If there is wave or wind action it will stir up the bottom then you cannot see where you are stepping. This happens more often than you think in 2-3 feet of water right at the waters edge. The shore where I do this is a mix of sand and ironshore. If you have been to Bonaire, its like an easy Bonaire entry. I am not afraid to wade in, nor am I alarmist, but if the bottom is cloudy this would be dangerous and you better be wearing hard bottom boots.

Speaking only for 3P, those guys are pros at this.
We would wade in Day 1. Drop off would be a quick action dock drop off where you get out before anyone realizes then hustle off. Day 2 would be similar. By Day 3 they are picking you up on the dock because they know exactly what you look like and tell you ahead of time to move fast. You just jump in the boats before anyone knows what the hell is going on acting like a confused tourist and the moment you are on they fly off. On multiple occasions we have been dropped off into the shop boats (!!!) and crossed them to get to the dock with the boat hands for the shop actually helping us. I get the impression 3P guys enjoy sticking it to the man almost like its little challenge to outwit the pier police and drop us off on the dock.

ymmv....
Has anyone tried this at the Palace? It doesn't look feasible to me from what I can see in their gallery photos.

I know what you mean about not being able to see clearly where you are putting your feet. I was wading out to the sombrero rock at Chen Rio a few years ago with my video camera around my neck and I stepped into a hole. The camera did not recover.

An alternative is to dive with 3P. They will pick you up in front of the hotel and take you to and back
I would be shocked if the taxistas actually allow them to do it. Only taxis and licensed shuttles are allowed to pick up and drop off hotel guests and there is taxi stand directly across from the hotel.
Sadly, the taxistas have a history of stopping any private transportation from happening to and from hotels and also the marinas.
Taxi fare to the Caleta or Fonatur marinas should not be more than approx $190 pesos one way, though.
The Cozumel Palace dock fee (per person) is absolutely ridiculous.

I would be shocked if the taxistas actually allow them to do it. Only taxis and licensed shuttles are allowed to pick up and drop off hotel guests and there is taxi stand directly across from the hotel.
Sadly, the taxistas have a history of stopping any private transportation from happening to and from hotels and also the marinas.
Taxi fare to the Caleta or Fonatur marinas should not be more than approx $190 pesos one way, though.
The Cozumel Palace dock fee (per person) is absolutely ridiculous.
They have been doing this for years, apparently with no trouble from the taxi drivers. I frequently see mention of it in here whenever 3P is being discussed and no one has ever mentioned any need for secrecy, which leads me to believe that 3P has reached some level of understanding with the taxi union.

Cozumel is starting to realize they are providing services well below market. Hopefully it is a gradual change.

Cozumel is starting to realize they are providing services well below market. Hopefully it is a gradual change.
If the price is too high don't use the service. Really simple.

Back
Top Bottom