Dock fees have jumped the shark at the Cozumel Palace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the price is too high don't use the service. Really simple.
Not the point, I don’t mind paying the doc fee if at the palace , extra $25 a person isn’t worth the worry. I am pointing out that Cozumel might be realizing they are the biggest bargain in diving and we could see prices rise quicker than previously.

Not the point, I don’t mind paying the doc fee if at the palace , extra $25 a person isn’t worth the worry. I am pointing out that Cozumel might be realizing they are the biggest bargain in diving and we could see prices rise quicker than previously.
And I would mind, so would never go there.

A note on 3P's- when we hopped in the 3P vehicle at marina, it went back to the shop- I did not see anyone get dropped off at individual hotels.

I don't think that businesses on Cozumel are especially ignorant about their relative pricing, but we may indeed see prices rising because of the inflationary trend in the US$.

They have been doing this for years, apparently with no trouble from the taxi drivers. I frequently see mention of it in here whenever 3P is being discussed and no one has ever mentioned any need for secrecy, which leads me to believe that 3P has reached some level of understanding with the taxi union.

Yeah, 3P's gives the Taxi Mafia enough business that no one is raising a stink about it. There is also a long running dispute between the Taxi Mafia and businesses that by law a business owner has the right to transport his clients if it is a part of his normal course of business and services offered.

If a dive op offers free transportation to its clients from its shop to its boats in its vehicles that could be considered within the bounds of a normal course of business as transportation is part of the service that business provides in its service package one purchases. So, I think to maintain the peace 3P's does both... They transport some in their vehicles, use taxis for others and everyone stays happy without starting a war. Realistically, when times were roaring pre-covid there was no way 3P's could move all its clients and multiple taxi vans and cabs were used constantly.

I'll go even one further, when Coz was busting at the seams with cruise ship passengers no taxi driver was interested in a fare taking a few knowledgeable divers from town or their hotel to the marina or back when there were 1000's of cruise ship tourons roaming around without a clue of the zones and rates who they could screw to their heart's content all day long. If you got off a dive boat at the marina when times were good there wasn't a taxi to be found anywhere to take you back, they had to be called and probably hated coming down to pick up and take people back.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but couldn't you just wade out to the boat and climb up its ladder?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but couldn't you just wade out to the boat and climb up its ladder?
Look at the Palace gallery pix; there's no beach there that I can see, just ironshore (jagged rock).

I am guessing you have never stayed at the Cozumel Palace Curious George. Not exactly a wading beach there.

Look at the Palace gallery pix; there's no beach there that I can see, just ironshore (jagged rock).

I am guessing you have never stayed at the Cozumel Palace Curious George. Not exactly a wading beach there.

I have not stayed there, but people do shore dives in Bonaire all the time with jagged rocks. Just wear dive boots. Heck, flip flops for that matter.

I have not stayed there, but people do shore dives in Bonaire all the time with jagged rocks. Just wear dive boots. Heck, flip flops for that matter.
It's deep, no wading, got to swim, or maybe walk over to the pier at El Cantil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom