Dock fees have jumped the shark at the Cozumel Palace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is all this grousing about paying a dock fee? Aldora will pull up to the sand next to the dock and throw down their ladder and bet 3P and many of the other small boat dive ops will too.

Wade out waist deep and no fee. Did it a bunch at Occidental (my wife likes the ease of the all inclusive when I’m out diving every morning).

What are the reasons people can’t do this?

What is all this grousing about paying a dock fee? Aldora will pull up to the sand next to the dock and throw down their ladder and bet 3P and many of the other small boat dive ops will too.

Wade out waist deep and no fee. Did it a bunch at Occidental (my wife likes the ease of the all inclusive when I’m out diving every morning).

What are the reasons people can’t do this?

I've don it too but maybe some people don't want to go on vacation to feel like scofflaws or second-rate customers while watching other people using the pier? Or don't want to risk losing their balance and dropping their camera or cell phone or towels into the water? Ok, drybag for the phones but it would take a monster drybag to fit our boat coats into.

I've don it too but maybe some people don't want to go on vacation to feel like scofflaws or second-rate customers while watching other people using the pier? Or don't want to risk losing their balance and dropping their camera or cell phone or towels into the water? Ok, drybag for the phones but it would take a monster drybag to fit our boat coats into.

Aldora, mentioned above, has boat coats on their boats that you can borrow. Other ops might too, not sure. So if you are willing to use a borrowed one, you only really need to bring the wetsuit - and a dry bag with any other optional goodies like the phone or snacks.

Aldora, mentioned above, has boat coats on their boats that you can borrow. Other ops might too, not sure. So if you are willing to use a borrowed one, you only really need to bring the wetsuit - and a dry bag with any other optional goodies like the phone or snacks.

Sure, there are ways to make it work but I'm just saying some people don't want to jump through hoops and make logisitical plans to deal with such malarkey. I've also been on boats that provided coats but sometimes they "forgot" to bring them or didn't bring enough. You also have to lug your whole dive bag on first and last day if a stop at the shop is not convenient. But the point is, I've waded out to boats and it's not a big deal for me but it does detract from the experience.

And when it was just 2 or 3 of us we would jump in and out of the dive guides basically still moving truck.
I wouldnt say that out loud. The Taxis get on to that program could experience a rolling roadblock and be stuff standing along the road for a while

I wouldnt say that out loud. The Taxis get on to that program could experience a rolling roadblock and be stuff standing along the road for a while
If it is Tres Pelicanos they were talking about I feel pretty certain that 3P has something worked out with the taxi union. They have been very open about their willingness to provide a ride to the marina. I have seen it talked about in here a lot with no mention of having to be secretive about it.

That works at the southern resorts that have real beaches but the shoreline at the Palace is ironshore.

If it is Tres Pelicanos they were talking about I feel pretty certain that 3P has something worked out with the taxi union. They have been very open about their willingness to provide a ride to the marina. I have seen it talked about in here a lot with no mention of having to be secretive about it.
Just because you get away with something, doesn't mean it won't catch up with you. Yes, it is said on here alot, but maybe we have a limited amount of taxi drivers on Scubaboard. Also, one vehicle picking up a couple divers is kinda minor, but if they don't have something to do that day, who knows?

Driving taxi is the shot for a middle class existence and they jealously guard it. I bet if you told a taxi driver that the ducks will be picking you up at 0730 at some hotel on Thursday, they might spare a couple guys to stop by and block the vehicle in. And then call the red car taxi guy and the cops and all.

Just because you get away with something, doesn't mean it won't catch up with you. Yes, it is said on here alot, but maybe we have a limited amount of taxi drivers on Scubaboard. Also, one vehicle picking up a couple divers is kinda minor, but if they don't have something to do that day, who knows?

Driving taxi is the shot for a middle class existence and they jealously guard it. I bet if you told a taxi driver that the ducks will be picking you up at 0730 at some hotel on Thursday, they might spare a couple guys to stop by and block the vehicle in. And then call the red car taxi guy and the cops and all.
Of course, without asking 3P or the taxi union I cannot know for sure, but seeing as they have been doing it openly for years it seems unlikely to me that they would just be getting away with it.

I don't mean that taxi drivers could read it here, only that no one who has talked about it here has made any mention of it being a secret.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom