Do you wear a snorkel?

Do You Still Wear a Snorkel? Yes, No, and Why.

• Yes, because I was taught that way, habit, etc.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • Yes, because I still use it at the surface to conserve tank air.

Votes: 52 22.5%
  • No, it gets in the way of my BC inflator, pulls my mask, etc.

Votes: 88 38.1%
  • No, I just never used it.

Votes: 46 19.9%
  • I carry a fold up snorkel.

Votes: 28 12.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my opinion there is an obvious use for it, and I don't understand how that could be debatable (This doesnt mean you NEED one to dive). Now, what is debatable however, is whether to keep it fixed to the mask throughout a dive (including entry and exit), IF you choose to dive with one. And for me, I choose to stow it. Is it any more complicated than that people?

It seems to me it's really just a pain in the rear. Normally, the only place I would need it is when I dive in a tropical area on a charter boat because in the Great Lakes, I dive with someone else with only a few people so I don't need one there and obviously not for quarries. It seems to me it' smore of a pain then a help, I normally have plenty of air at the end of a dive anyway in reserve if I need it on the surface.

NWGratefulDiver:
Actually, all certification agencies I am aware of require a snorkel for basic Open Water classes.

I didn't say that certification agencies didn't require a snorkel for OW classes, I said that "Most" agencies did not "Stress" how important the snorkel is.

NWGratefulDiver:
Just curious ... how does wearing a snorkel make you a safer diver?

I didn't say a snorkel make you a safer diver I said a snorkel is a very important piece of safety equipment, so that, for example if you are caught in bad weather or a rough tide/strong current when coming back up you don't actually drown breathing water instead of air (we are assuming you have no more air in your tank and this is not a boat dive).
I am a bit surprised since you are an instructor that you don't know the answer to that question???

So far the poll says....70% of the voters don't use a snorkel. Very interesting.

Since I'm an air hog, its like gold to me. I'll put up with the hassle wearing the snorkel presents because while we're awaiting the buds to be ready to dive, I'm usually face down (the natural way my BC plants me). I realize I've probably conserved enough air at the surface for 5 more breaths at 60ft but hey, air is like gold.

Well after reading this thread, curiosity has got the better of me.
I bought one at the same time as my mask, however it has stayed in the misc gear box since leaving the store.
I think I'll try it on my easy dive tommorow just for kicks.
If it takes my mask off its going back in the bag, but might as well I suppose, having never used it I guess I shouldn't vote till I try it:)

[FONT=&quot]I find it hard to get a good seal on my mask when I have a snorkel attached to it so I do not use one for most of my diving. I mainly dive in lakes and quarries so I am not out in a lot of waves and can do my surface swims easily without one. When I go to the ocean I do keep a snorkel on my mask just incase.
[/FONT]

I always have one with me. Either in the bag or in a pocket. I do not keep one clipped to the mask. Possible interference with long hose deployment, entanglement hazard, and just plain draggy feeling. But for surface swims and training it's necessary with new divers or because standards require. Funny thing in the PADI/DSAT tech diver course video it's like they say you can get rid of it as it's just in the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom