Do you wear a snorkel?

Do You Still Wear a Snorkel? Yes, No, and Why.

• Yes, because I was taught that way, habit, etc.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • Yes, because I still use it at the surface to conserve tank air.

Votes: 52 22.5%
  • No, it gets in the way of my BC inflator, pulls my mask, etc.

Votes: 88 38.1%
  • No, I just never used it.

Votes: 46 19.9%
  • I carry a fold up snorkel.

Votes: 28 12.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daniel f aleman:
Well, Bob, glad that you asked. My answer is that at the surface in open water you are a snorkeler and no longer a diver. Twice in my career I had to drop my rig and swim, once to the shore with a distressed diver intow (~300meters) and the other to the boat alone (~150meters) - used the snorkel both times. Also, as mentioned above, floating in the waves waiting for the zodiac is made so much easier using a snorkel...

I think you are wrong in your assessment......IMO, once a diver in gear, always a diver........and I don't care if you have ditched your equipment----it'll go down as a diving fatality......

No snorkel here, not even during OWD certification dives.

Couldn't care for one, hated them ever since I started free diving as a kid.

Choppy water? If it's that choppy, you're gonna have your snorkel full of sea anyway. :)

Sure, if you're into snorkeling, it makes perfect sense. For scuba/freediving, IMO, not really. Or, if you're a submarine... :D

almitywife:
i love the elitism when it comes to snorkel or not...i expect soon there will be a acronym'd group proudly being pro or against the humble snorkel

i have no issue with carrying my brightly coloured yellow snorkle.... i can say on a number of dives it has assisted in bringing me back to shore safely and ive come out of the water thinking im glad i continue to carry it

cheers

I think I'm going to start DIS - Doing It Snorkeled.

Who's with me? We can only dive with other DIS divers. :wink:

Teamcasa:
Almity, You are so right! I find these debates amusing. (but alas here I am) Does anyone really care one hoot whether I use a snorkel or not? I sure don’t. Bottom line, if you like one – use one. If you don’t, then don’t. Arguing the merits of using/not using one is silly. I appreciate hearing why people use one or not but I ignore the posts that attempt to convert others to their POV.

Dave

Well, I did sort of ask people to try to convert me to their point of view.

And after reading the responses, I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Also, I'm not bothered by it being there like other people seem to be.

Great, I'll be a member of DAS then.

Divers Against Snorkels.

Though since neither has the word "Right" in it, there shouldn't really be any feuding:rofl3: :rofl3:

jeckyll:
Great, I'll be a member of DAS then.

Divers Against Snorkels.

Though since neither has the word "Right" in it, there shouldn't really be any feuding:rofl3: :rofl3:

Says you. I'm feuding.

feudse_1.jpg

That was actually a very outside, inside joke...

With a 7' hose snorkle = possible entanglement hazard and/or failure point. No thanks.

Picture this - you're passing your 7ft hose to an OOA diver, and while doing so it gets hung up on your snorkle, removing your snorkle and your mask in one fell swoop!

JCAT:
How about some pictures?

I don't wear one when I dive, but have it in the bag. I use it when wife wants to snorkle and thats pretty cool.

happen to have one...bicycle tubing...stiffens up my webbing and makes it a bit easier to doff in the water too. I use a long hose, although I don't drill much. It does not get in my way. DAS are okay by me as long as they have a SMB, it's their business, how they like to wait. (but I am not the best captain yet, so they should reconsider)

DSC_0165-2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom