Do you wear a snorkel?

Do You Still Wear a Snorkel? Yes, No, and Why.

• Yes, because I was taught that way, habit, etc.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • Yes, because I still use it at the surface to conserve tank air.

Votes: 52 22.5%
  • No, it gets in the way of my BC inflator, pulls my mask, etc.

Votes: 88 38.1%
  • No, I just never used it.

Votes: 46 19.9%
  • I carry a fold up snorkel.

Votes: 28 12.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Logic Theorist:
Well, I did sort of ask people to try to convert me to their point of view.

And after reading the responses, I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Also, I'm not bothered by it being there like other people seem to be.

yep.... im one of those that would rather use a snorkel to get out to my site than use 40bar of air that i would prefer to use either during the dive or have it in reserve because i can (note, i dive with a CCR diver now so i need all the air i can get :wink: )

i wonder what happens to all these disgarded snorkels.... can they be rehabilitated for other divers?? :D

I think it's important to have one with me ...but I long ago realized that having it dangle next to my left eye wasn't very brite or useful.

trucker girl:
I believe this is referring to the swim OUT to the dive site... I've had long quarry surface swims at Dutch Springs (PA) and Blue Springs (IN). Snorkel saved quite a bit of air... Once the dive is over, if we have a surface swim, I use my reg if I have enough air. Otherwise, it's back to the snorkel.

Good point TG. I rarely shore dive and never have long swim outs. I missed that.

I think people who like them should wear them. It is just another piece of equipment after all.

I did until my first kelp dive. Then it did exactly what my buddies told me it'd do - catch on the kelp and pull my mask off.

I still don't buy the "you'll never need a snorkel" bit yet, so I'll look into a fold-up one before my next dive.

Nope ... hate it. Being a swimmer, I typically have no issues finding a means to breath while on the surface. If you've been a swimmer for any length of time, you become quite good at breathing through a bit of water, timing your breaths to be in sync with the waves and in general are comfortable on the surface without a reg or snorkle in your mouth. For the rare instances where it's hard to breath, I just use the reg. At one atmosphere and if you work hard to control your breathing, you use very little air while on the surface. Given all of that, I just have no need for one.

almitywife:
i wonder what happens to all these disgarded snorkels.... can they be rehabilitated for other divers?? :D

snorkelrescue.org

They don't destroy the snorkels. They patch them, provide shelter, health care and sustenance for the discarded little guys. And try to match them up with new divers who are trained to gently bond with the rejected snorkel and give it new purpose in life.

(it's almost like being in the dork divers forum)

Yeah..this topic is as popular as the MOF issue and anything PADI-bashing related! But for my 2psi...I DID because that's how I was taught, but felt that there is usually no need for it...I DO like having one for waiting at the line to see what I'm about to descend upon and like I said in the other thread, I would rather look down than watch the rest of the dive crew jumping off the boat...

I also like them for surface swimming...I would rather "snorkel" out or back than swim on my back.

sitdown248:
It seems to me it's really just a pain in the rear. Normally, the only place I would need it is when I dive in a tropical area on a charter boat because in the Great Lakes, I dive with someone else with only a few people so I don't need one there and obviously not for quarries. It seems to me it' smore of a pain then a help, I normally have plenty of air at the end of a dive anyway in reserve if I need it on the surface.

As you said, there are other places to dive than G.L........post back when you have 100+ Gulf dives(some 125 miles from land- you tend to think a little differently safety wise then- glad I had mine secured last week on my mask).....

Back
Top Bottom