Do you wear a snorkel?

Do You Still Wear a Snorkel? Yes, No, and Why.

• Yes, because I was taught that way, habit, etc.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • Yes, because I still use it at the surface to conserve tank air.

Votes: 52 22.5%
  • No, it gets in the way of my BC inflator, pulls my mask, etc.

Votes: 88 38.1%
  • No, I just never used it.

Votes: 46 19.9%
  • I carry a fold up snorkel.

Votes: 28 12.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to carry and use for shore diving, but lately I've been doing all my surface swims on my back.

I've noticed that most of the classes around here do the same for shore dives. Is this swmming on your back just a SoCal thing?

When I'm on my back my fins are down in the water working for me, when I'm face down they always tend to spend some time on the surface flappin' in the breeze.

somewhereinla:
I didn't say that certification agencies didn't require a snorkel for OW classes, I said that "Most" agencies did not "Stress" how important the snorkel is.
How would you know? How many agencies have you been associated with?

I can tell you that all of the agencies I've worked classes for require a snorkel as part of the basic gear, and require instruction in its use as part of their basic curriculum.

somewhereinla:
I didn't say a snorkel make you a safer diver I said a snorkel is a very important piece of safety equipment, so that, for example if you are caught in bad weather or a rough tide/strong current when coming back up you don't actually drown breathing water instead of air (we are assuming you have no more air in your tank and this is not a boat dive).
Why would you assume that a diver would end a dive with no more air in their tank? If you do so, you are violating some pretty basic things that you were supposed to have learned in your basic open water class.

Sounds to me more like you're saying you use a snorkel to make up for a lack of fundamental skills.

somewhereinla:
I am a bit surprised since you are an instructor that you don't know the answer to that question???
Actually, I know AN answer ... and I'll share it.

A snorkel ... like every piece of scuba gear ... serves a specific purpose. Depending on the circumstances of your dive it can have advantages and disadvantages. You need to understand why you're wearing it ... just like every other piece of gear you carry. Otherwise, you can't make a rational decision as to whether it's safety equipment or not.

If you're using a long hose, a snorkel can interfere with a shared-air exchange.

If you're diving in a strong current, a snorkel can create enough drag to cause your mask to get pulled off your face.

If you're diving in kelp ... or towing a flag or smb ... it can be a potential source of entanglement.

Under those circumstances, a snorkel isn't a piece of safety equipment ... it's an impediment to your safety.

Daniel gave some good examples of when a snorkel can be a piece of safety equipment. Some other folks did as well.

So my answer is "it depends on the gear I'm wearing and the circumstances of the dive" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I hate wearing a snorkel. Just gets in the way and not much use. The shop made us wear them when we trained other divers. I hated it then and hate it even more now.

All this talk of saving air? Just how much gas do you guys burn AT THE SURFACE anyway? Ambient pressure = sea level. You really have to be a hog if that concerns you.

Here's a better question: How many divers do you see wear those pesky things on the wrong (right) side? My observation...about 60-70%

Now that's dangerous.

tep:
I've noticed that most of the classes around here do the same for shore dives. Is this swmming on your back just a SoCal thing?
That's how we do it in Puget Sound too ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

sitdown248:
It seems to me it's really just a pain in the rear.

I don't think you have it mounted right. It's supposed to be attached to your mask strap...

I had my snorkel O2 cleaned so I can use it with Nitrox when I use it.:confused: Most of the time it is just in the way:D With a back inflate BC for years I always swim on my back also. It works best for me.

I don't think you have it mounted right. It's supposed to be attached to your mask strap...
:rofl3:

ZzzKing:
We have a winner ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I usually wear one when snotkeling.

NWGratefulDiver:
We have a winner ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just one of the many public services I perform. :D

Back
Top Bottom