Do you really understand your computer, or is it a threat to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whut? Is ZH-L8 only half as safe as ZH-L16?

🤷 #60 says it counts twice as many tissues and therefore feels safer

The Ford Model T will get your from point A to point B but so will a 2022 Ford F-350. Yes both can not claim 100% safety if you get in an accident but I guess its a matter of how you want to get from point A to point B
My 20 year old Oceanic computer and 14 year old Impala both still serve me well.

🤷 #60 says it counts twice as many tissues and therefore feels safer
Please actually read post #60 understand the point I was trying to make. And yes me personally I would rather dive with a 16 compartment algorithm then an 8 compartment algorithm. Also nowhere in the post did I mention that since ZHL16 is based of off 16 different tissue compartments meaning 16 different M-Values that this is twice as safe as some have suggested. There is not relationship to the amount of compartments to the percentage of safety.

The 16 compartments is simply just representations of likely values of T halfs spread through the body. So yes in theory a 16 compartment model is calculating 8 additional compartment more then the 24 year old Uwatec hybrid 8 compartment model. Please remember that each representative compartment is calculating the inert gas pressure in each compartment during on-gassing or off-gassing. This is just giving the computer more data points.

When you start to do several sub 100m dives a year you want to have as accurate tissue loading model as possible.

What else do I need? Well the "bells and whistles" I just listed earlier:

The Ford Model T will get your from point A to point B but so will a 2022 Ford F-350. Yes both can not claim 100% safety if you get in an accident but I guess its a matter of how you want to get from point A to point B
Bells and whistles have nothing to do with scuba diving. And they are never ever taught in any scuba courses from OW to Trimix and may be even rebreather.
You are giving an absolutely stupid comparison between car's performance/safety and dive computer.
Can you swim quicker with the latest computer from A to B?
Do they offer longer ndl over the same depth so a longer distance can be covered?
NDL is the Achilles Heel in scuba diving.
My 20 year old Oceanic computer and 14 year old Impala both still serve me well.
Of course and why not?

Please actually read post #60 understand the point I was trying to make. And yes me personally I would rather dive with a 16 compartment algorithm then an 8 compartment algorithm. Also nowhere in the post did I mention that since ZHL16 is based of off 16 different tissue compartments meaning 16 different M-Values that this is twice as safe as some have suggested. There is not relationship to the amount of compartments to the percentage so safety.

The 16 compartments is simply just representations of likely values of T halfs spread through the body. So yes in theory a 16 compartment model is calculating 8 additional compartment more then the 24 year old Uwatec hybrid 8 compartment model. Please remember that each representative compartment is calculating the inert gas pressure in each compartment during on-gassing or off-gassing. This is just giving the computer more data points.

When you start to do several sub 100m dives a year you want to have as accurate tissue loading model as possible.
OFF topic.
This is BASIC DIVING!
Move over to technical diving please. 100m dive? Nothing to write home about.

Bells and whistles have nothing to do with scuba diving. And they are never ever taught in any scuba courses from OW to Trimix and may be even rebreather.
You are giving an absolutely stupid comparison between car's performance/safety and dive computer.
Can you swim quicker with the latest computer from A to B?
Do they offer longer ndl over the same depth so a longer distance can be covered?
NDL is the Achilles Heel in scuba diving.

Of course and why not?

Sorry mate but I strongly disagree the bells and whistles that come on new more "advanced" computers over a 24 year old Uwatec or 20 year old Oceanic were defiantly taught to me in my scuba diving courses. But this all depends on your instructor. You can have an instructor that just goes by the bare minimum book standards and tick and flicks you a certificate or you can also have an instructor that covers all the standards but also cover a significant amount of information that is not in standards. This is why some instructors have a reputation and a sought after.

OFF topic.
This is BASIC DIVING!
Move over to technical diving please. 100m dive? Nothing to write home about.
Sorry mate but I don't think it was off topic. Please actually go read post #60 I was simply offering an onion about a previous post on the how some of the "advanced" features that newer diver computers offer can be beneficial to a modern day diver backed by a list of examples.

Then on my following post I was just backing up my statement for so of the silly comments about a sarcastic 32 compartment model or how 16 is twice as safe as 8 etc.

yes this is BASIC DIVING. That is why I was offering up some more helpful information to those that are new to the form or just learning about diving and might be interested in the fact that some computers offer more "advanced" features and these features in my opinion can be helpful.

Window 10 is better than 7 but NOT more accurate.

Latest dive computer has more features packed in but NOT safer.
Human being is the ultimate deciding factor.

"You really are risking your life with this activity"
"No technology will keep you alive. Knowledge, skill, and practiced procedures are your best defense(except for not doing the dive, of course).
Those are the warning words from a well known dive computer manufacturer based in Canada.

Window 10 is better than 7 but NOT more accurate.

Latest dive computer has more features packed in but NOT safer.
Human being is the ultimate deciding factor.

"You really are risking your life with this activity"
"No technology will keep you alive. Knowledge, skill, and practiced procedures are your best defense(except for not doing the dive, of course).
Those are the warning words from a well known dive computer manufacturer based in Canada.
And? You originally asked about advancements over your 24 year old computer. There are plenty of advancements. Not all advancements are aimed at diver safety. Many are aimed at convenience, ease of use and visibility. As I mentioned, algorithm based improvements are at least intended to enhance safety. How much is difficult To judge, but 16 compartments vs 8 compartments is certainly not a step backwards.

And regarding what other information you need. I’m not sure what you need. However, I like having GTR and SurfGF displayed on my computer in addition to the typical. Required, no. But very nice to have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom