Do you really understand your computer, or is it a threat to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thread is old but plenty of divers still have problem to understand why:
1. the sound of the alarm.
2. the displayed arrow.
3. the number is getting smaller and smaller in one particular sector.

Ageless issue.
Absolutely. It's so bad in tropical vacation dives, I'm almost starting to warm up to the GUE hatred of computers. I think they take it too far, but on my last trip to Cabo, out of 8 guest divers, 2 people went into deco on our 120 ft AOW-only dive and couldn't figure out why their computer was blowing up at them or how to follow what it was telling them to do.

I think the problem with people understanding computers starts with really poorly written manuals. It is not just the quality of the writing, it is the overall design. The critical information, which comprises a tiny fraction of the total manual's bulk, is typically scattered throughout the manual without clear identification in the table of contents.
There is some truth there, but it doesn't help that most people just don't read manuals period and a lot of vacation divers only use their dive computer a couple times a year, which makes it much harder to remember.

I think dive computer manufactures should build their documentation based on the assumption that the user will use it out of the box some number of times having only looked at your quick start guide, at best. Most will probably eventually tinker through the menus (hopefully with the manual) setting things they way they wants, but then will forget everything about the computer between dives. They should be able able to quickly be reminded of how to use their previously configured computer without needing to download and read a 100 page pdf, because they simply won't. They'll wing it and follow the DM instead. Also, if you can't describe that refresh on 1 laminated card... your computer is probably needs a new interface.

That said, I'm not one of those people, but I had to re-read my wife's manual and teach her how to use hers before every vacation. Worst decision ever was splurging on my computer and then not buying my wife the exact same computer.

It is the diver's responsibility to understand the operation of their computer(s). Period.

Spot on!

Absolutely. It's so bad in tropical vacation dives, I'm almost starting to warm up to the GUE hatred of computers. I think they take it too far, but on my last trip to Cabo, out of 8 guest divers, 2 people went into deco on our 120 ft AOW-only dive and couldn't figure out why their computer was blowing up at them or how to follow what it was telling them to do.

There is some truth there, but it doesn't help that most people just don't read manuals period and a lot of vacation divers only use their dive computer a couple times a year, which makes it much harder to remember.

I think dive computer manufactures should build their documentation based on the assumption that the user will use it out of the box some number of times having only looked at your quick start guide, at best. Most will probably eventually tinker through the menus (hopefully with the manual) setting things they way they wants, but then will forget everything about the computer between dives. They should be able able to quickly be reminded of how to use their previously configured computer without needing to download and read a 100 page pdf, because they simply won't. They'll wing it and follow the DM instead. Also, if you can't describe that refresh on 1 laminated card... your computer is probably needs a new interface.

That said, I'm not one of those people, but I had to re-read my wife's manual and teach her how to use hers before every vacation. Worst decision ever was splurging on my computer and then not buying my wife the exact same computer.

If divers are going into deco on no deco dives or as stated previously not understating why
1. the sound of the alarm.
2. the displayed arrow.
3. the number is getting smaller and smaller in one particular sector.

This is a case of poor training or the person is a one or two time a year vacation diver and they have just forgotten. This is why a good diver center will check with the person when there last dive was and if they have a full understating of above mentioned items and if not then they need a refresher.

As far as computer manuals go I personally use several Shearwater platforms (Petrel and Perdix) and I think the manufactures documentation/manual has everting you need to understand the computer in it here is an example https://www.shearwater.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/PerdixAI_Operating_Instructions_RevC.pdf.

Honestly a dive computer is not rocket science most are fairly strait forwarded and pretty easy to understand, heck the Petrel and Perdix only have 2 buttons does not get an easier then that and you really do not need manual to figure out how to operate one. If you are a certified diver then its your responsibly to follow your dive computer and know how to operate it. If you don't of you have forgotten then you need to be honest with your self then you should not be in the water until you get professional training/a refresher.

Easy said than done!
This thread was written in 2004 and nothing has changed, has it?

"Responsibility"!!!! We are human.

Easy said than done!
This thread was written in 2004 and nothing has changed, has it?

"Responsibility"!!!! We are human.
Well the computers have changed they are more advanced and truly easier to use properly.... people on the other hand haven't changed that much in regards to using them!

... In fact, I wonder if their failure to make a useful section that highlights the key functions everyone needs to know might be considered a bad idea because it might be argued that it tempted divers to read only that part and ignore all the other supposedly important stuff in the manual.

Mine came with a card that highlights key functions. Apparently it's entirely unusable to anyone whose idea of a key function is longer NDL, though.

It's in the eye of the beholder: you read it on SB that certain brand of computer doesn't "lock you out" and that a good thing, you buy one of them and your eyes glaze over on all those "irrelevant" sections of the manual, like gas switching or them hypoxic trimixes... that's the poorly written manual's fault I'm sure.

Well the computers have changed they are more advanced and truly easier to use properly.... people on the other hand haven't changed that much in regards to using them!
Advanced ? In what way?

What do you want your "advanced computer" provided other than ndl, depth and time or gas(AI model only)? My 24 yrs old Uwatec Aldain does not even have back light and how difficult it is to shine my touch on it.

I was going to say that I bet Centrals is still using the same computer he was when this thread was started, but I see he beat me to it.
Advanced ? In what way?

What do you want your "advanced computer" provided other than ndl, depth and time or gas(AI model only)? My 24 yrs old Uwatec Aldain does not even have back light and how difficult it is to shine my touch on it.
Not difficult, but certainly not as effortless as me just turning my wrist and reading the full color display.

There have certainly been advancements in 24 years. Apart from algorithms and sensors, though, most are probably not required to keep a diver safe. Not every advance is a requirement, but that doesn’t mean it’s not an advancement.
It is the diver's responsibility to understand the operation of their computer(s). Period.
Exactly. For those of you that do charters, how often do you encounter divers that have no clue how to work their computer? I’ve only seen it on OW checkout dives. The instructor or crew can’t be expected to know how to operate every type of computer.

Exactly. For those of you that do charters, how often do you encounter divers that have no clue how to work their computer? I’ve only seen it on OW checkout dives. The instructor or crew can’t be expected to know how to operate every type of computer.
I've seen it on multiple occasions. The problems are often compounded by the computer doing things behind the user's back in the name of "safety", such as resetting an entered nitrox mix to air after a certain amount of time.

Advanced ? In what way?

I would disagree I think modern computers these days are way way more advanced than your 24 year old Uwatec Aladain. Modern computers these days are amazing and make diving much safer.

For starters if I'm not mistaken I think the older Uwatec's run some kind of hybrid Buhlmann 8 tissue model. This bring up a whole separate discussion about tissue loading but me personally I would feel much safer running an advanced computer that uses ZHL16-C with gradient factors especially since its taking into account twice as many tissues being loaded.
Next advanced computers give you many advanced features that are very nice to have and make your dive safer that your Uwatec does not offer. Since I run Shearwater platforms I will speak about them but there are many other advanced computers that offer the same features and more. Just to name a few advanced things that my advanced computer provides that yours does not that I find I need during a dive are.
CC/BO mode
Ability to program in 5 mixed gases and edit them underwater
CNS loading (very very important especially when you start going over 180min run times)
Stack time monitor
Dil P02
Digital compass (very very handy to have for cave diving)
Accent/decent rate in a number (very nice for deep dives and scooter diving)
Surface GF
+5 calculation
Built in Bluetooth to update computer software
User changeable AA battery (super handy for remote diving)

These are just a few advanced features that I use to keep me safe that a 24 year old computer can not give me. Im sure that are many other advanced features that others use as well.

Back
Top Bottom