Do you really understand your computer, or is it a threat to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don - Good thread

I added an Aeris Atmos 2 to my setup recently for the Nitrox features. I've been diving with my Suunto Companion for so long I left in in my console and refer to both throughout my dive as I'm still getting comfortable with the Aeris. I understand how it works but it takes a while to orient to a new display.

So you are very right in saying "learn your computer before getting in the water" but if you are switching to a new computer don't ditch the old one until the new is as familiar to you as your original.

As for instructors - My students get taught tables, of course, and I emphasize the necessity of understanding them and running them everytime regardless of whether they have a computer or not because mechanical things can malfunction! Then I do show them both of my computers and how they function, and since I run most of my equipment classes in a dive store they are shown other computers as well. Still my emphasis is understanding the tables before buying a computer and then run them anyway just because....

And if we are going to suggest that instructors spend time on computers, let's not limit it to one agency or another. I know NAUI instructors as well as PADI who do not spend enough time on computers.

ReneeC:
And if we are going to suggest that instructors spend time on computers, let's not limit it to one agency or another. I know NAUI instructors as well as PADI who do not spend enough time on computers.

What constitutes, "enough time on computers"? Regardless of agency of course.

(mini rant) What an important concept, understanding your dive computer. We see an average of 1000 divers per year on my boat. Less than 10% still dive tables, which is good, because many new divers don't understand how to work their tables, as many instructors seem to not be inclined to teach the importance of tables. For our particular diving conditions at the Flower Gardens, a computer greatly enhances the experience of the dive trip, but shops/instructors do not always properly prepare a diver to use the computer to the divers maximum advantage. Divers do not understand why we sit them out when they surface in violation mode, nor do they understand why they are in violation mode to start with. With the training agencies emphasis on diving being a fun sport, and not a dangerous one, some students are slipping through without fully understanding that you could actually get hurt while diving. We have divers surface with computers in violation mode because of their rapid ascent rate from 15' to the surface, and they don't understand why we get upset at them. It is a disservice for a dive shop/instructor to improperly prepare a diver to use the equipment that the dive shop sold them.

Tables should be taught first and emphasised over computers in open water training. Getting a good grasp of the concept of nitrogen is one of the basic tenants of our sport. Understanding how to use a dive computer should come after other SCUBA concepts are mastered. No one learns to pilot a private plane using an autopilot, that skill is learned after many hours of flight time. We dont start full cave penetration until after buoyancy control is well established in open water.

As to the divemaster who removed the battery from the computer after he/she determined that the diver should be safe after the computer was dived in default mode, what qualifies a divemaster to make that determination? Why did the diver continue to dive in an alarm condition. Who taught the diver that diving while the beeper was beeping was a good thing. Learning how to properly use most complex modern computers takes longer than the trip to the boat. One of the reasons we don't rent computers is the length of training required to properly use one. Imagine the divemaster on the witness stand when the attorney for the plaintiff asks "how many pages are there in the computer manual, and how long did the diver have to read it before the dive?"

I believe that dive computers and dive tables are not given enough emphasis during open water training, nor on subsequent advanced training, and that trend is causing divers to get hurt.

I know my computer incredibly well. But.... I do rely on it heavily as well. However, if it blows out on me then the worst that will happen is I have to wait (and would wait) 24 hours before starting with a new computer. Yes, that could be a bummer on a holiday, but so is DCS - I'd just spend some time chilling by the pool with a beer
Yeah, this part of why I always wear 2 - and they're both Pelagics, so I don't get confused on what I think I know.

Renee is a Professional, so she gets to learn to completely different puters. That's just confuse me.

I believe that dive computers and dive tables are not given enough emphasis during open water training, nor on subsequent advanced training, and that trend is causing divers to get hurt.
Damned good post, Wookie - and only your second one on SB. Gotta' watch for you.

I'm still a bit of a newbie in diving, but it does seem that the agencies crank them thru with just enough learnin' to be dangerous - then expect the operators to break 'em in. I learned most of what I think I know overall by paying attention to briefings (there's another good thread?) then practicing what I was told to do.

divewookie:
As to the divemaster who removed the battery from the computer after he/she determined that the diver should be safe after the computer was dived in default mode, what qualifies a divemaster to make that determination? Why did the diver continue to dive in an alarm condition. Who taught the diver that diving while the beeper was beeping was a good thing. Learning how to properly use most complex modern computers takes longer than the trip to the boat. One of the reasons we don't rent computers is the length of training required to properly use one. Imagine the divemaster on the witness stand when the attorney for the plaintiff asks "how many pages are there in the computer manual, and how long did the diver have to read it before the dive?"

These are good questions. However, one thing I do not understand regarding the Pelagic computers is why, after a nitrox dive (even if it is set for EAN21), the default is for the computer to reset to EAN50.

That doesn't make sense to me at all ... and would lead someone who understands how the default setting works to conclude that the computer alarms are not valid.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
These are good questions. However, one thing I do not understand regarding the Pelagic computers is why, after a nitrox dive (even if it is set for EAN21), the default is for the computer to reset to EAN50.

That doesn't make sense to me at all ... and would lead someone who understands how the default setting works to conclude that the computer alarms are not valid.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I'm just guessing that they - or their attorneys - think that a Nx diver should set the mix on every dive. Otherwise, it'll track N2 @ 21% and O2 @ 50%, and lock you out for sure. In other words, work the computer right, or get locked out.

I keep my Defaluts off. My choice. I mentioned that to my Technician this year as he replaced my batteries and started setting time & such for me (which I double checked anyway) and he said: "All Technical Divers do that." "I'm certainly not a Tech Diver!" "Oh, well you dive kinda' like one, I could tell from the way your reg was worn and computers set." Yeah, well - I try to learn from them. Interesting what he knew from my habits from looking at my equipment.

I agree that Pelagic's chocie on Default settings is not what I like, but my message is that with so many divers buying Aires and Oceanic puters, they'd better learn Default settings, as should other puter owners, along with all the other settings.

DandyDon:
I'm just guessing that they - or their attorneys - think that a Nx diver should set the mix on every dive. Otherwise, it'll track N2 @ 21% and O2 @ 50%, and lock you out for sure. In other words, work the computer right, or get locked out.

My Aeris does the same thing. You've got the reason right: if you don't set it, it assumes worst case for O2 and N2, which is the safest fallback. With the Aeris you can also change the default to use the same setting as the previous dive. Seems risky. My rule is to always set FO2 immediately before putting the computer on my wrist. Even when I'm diving air. Make it part of the routine.

My aeris elite needs the EAN % reset before each dive. If SIT is greater than 10 minutes. Failure to do so results in the computer locking you in at EAN 50%. After the unit suts off it switches back to air.

The aeris elite ean 50% lock out can be turned off and then setpoint has to then be manually changed.

For those who do not know their computers the lock out is a good idea

divewookie:
Tables should be taught first and emphasised over computers in open water training. Getting a good grasp of the concept of nitrogen is one of the basic tenants of our sport. Understanding how to use a dive computer should come after other SCUBA concepts are mastered.
While I feel tables are inportant agencies like SDI/TDI require the use of computers in its open water classes. The feel it is safer. I do too as well. However, understanding your computer is key.

Sorry - I guess I should have mentioned that Aires and Oceanic computers are both Pelagics, with extremely similar models. Owners manuals can be word for word then same.

jbd:
What constitutes, "enough time on computers"? Regardless of agency of course.
If the instructor relies on the PPT slides or the video and doesn't put a computer in the student's hand they haven't spent enough time. It goes back to the simple principles of learning:

'I hear and I forget.
I see and I believe.
I do and I understand.'
—Confucius (551-479 BC)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom