Do you prefer soft/stiff-type harnesses? Any recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkHerm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi!

I've been diving a Dive Rite hog harness with an Oxycheq wing for about a year now and like the setup alot (singles setup). The webbing of the harness is extremely stiff, though. This makes precise adjustments of the shoulder straps and the d-rings relatively difficult. As I switch between drysuit (with almost non to very heavy undies) and wetsuit quite regularly, I begin to find this a little annoying.

I wonder if a softer webbing makes the adjustment easier?! On the other hand, I read that very soft webbing makes doning and doffing harder...

Therefore, which type and brand of webbing do you prefer for your harness? Can you recommend a specific brand/type of webbing that is a good balance between stiffness and softness? :)

Thanks for your input...
Best regards!

I use a mic. Stip coming up of the plate and soft up the front and through the sliders. It's reasonably easy to enter and adjust.

Pete

I have both soft and stiff webbing types. Doesn't make that big of a difference for me. However I must clarify that I do not have a Hog style harness either. Mine are the quick adjustable type ala Dive Rite Transplate and Halcyon Cinch.

If you're switching between exposure suits that often, then maybe you should consider the convenience of the Dive Rite Transplate harness.

DSS came out with a slightly softer webbing some months ago, and softer still without being too soft is the Halcyon webbing.

I've found that if the webbing gets too soft, the shoulder straps "roll" and seem to dig into my shoulders more, and as you mention the soft webbing "flops" when you're trying to get into the harness.

Back
Top Bottom