Tutorial: Custom sheath for Shears & Other Devices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlugLife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Several months ago, I wanted a serious cutting-device capable of easily handling rope, and ended up buying some 10-inch shears. (more info in this thread)

The first sheath I made ended up looking like this, and worked quite well.

20220712_165418.jpg

Features include a 2-inch slot for webbing in the back, a d-ring and velcro for securing. The open-bottom is also intentional to allow faster draining. My only slight annoyance after about a dozen dives, was that it was that inserting the shears back into the sheath was .... not really bad at all, but not as seamless as I'd like. Especially if I'm tackling a pile of a dozen anchor-ropes in zero-vis, I prefer to not waste time. Sometimes I'd clip to a d-ring temporarily, but dangling shears is a potential hazard.

For the gun-enthusiasts in the audience, you may be familiar with "flared magwell", essentially a flared opening that makes it so the magazine can be inserted more seamlessly and quickly, even if you're not precisely accurate. I decided to borrow the general concept to create a flared-sheath.

20221203_170454.jpg

Step 0: To start you'll need some 2-inch webbing. Preferrably webbing that's not too thick or tough, so it's easier to sew, since we'll be going through 2-3 layers. I used this webbing. (FYI, it's not great for harness material, it's too soft for that)

Before we get started, note that this is customized for large shears like the one shown, but you can change the design and dimension to suit various other objects. Also, if you do steps out-of-order, you may find you're unable to stich where you need to stich (speaking from experience).

If you want a simpler/faster/easier version, you can skip the whole "magwell" approach too, and basically do everything except that piece.

Step 1: Cut 2 lengths of webbing, one 20+ inches, and another 11+ inches. The 20-inch segment will form most of the sheath, while the 11-inch will be used for the "flare" (I cut mine a little short, because I was figuring it out)

20221203_151416.jpg

Step 2: Cut a length of Velcro, about 2-3 inches long, and sew that onto one end of the 20-inch piece. I have the "loop" side of the velcro up here.

20221203_154322.jpg20221203_154511.jpg

Step 3: Create a "T" shape with the two pieces of webbing on the same end as the velcro, ideally centered.

20221203_154713.jpg20221203_154925.jpg20221203_154931.jpg

Step 4: Creating the flare. Fold the long webbing at about 6-inches (or adjust for the size of your tool). The pointy-end of the tool will end up inside this crease. Perhaps create a nice crease, or mark it with something like a pen. Sew lines on each side, however only part of the way. Leave a gap at the bottom for water to drain, and a gap at the top, so the handle fits in nicely. Now might be a good time to insert the tool, to check the fit.
(I didn't take a picture at the right time, but you can see the stitching on the left and right-side here)

20221203_155311.jpg 20221203_161008.jpg

Step 5: Fold the top "T" piece to make our flare. I created a "triangle" fold, with about 1.25 inches at the top. Create a nice crease, and perhaps mark it if you need to. Fold it behind the long piece, and create a stich to secure it in place. Stich the folds in place at the top as shown, and verify the tool inserts nicely in our flared opening. Perhaps only do 1-line of stitching, in case you don't like it and want to rip the thread and try again. When it's good, cut the excess material and add more stitching to secure it.

20221203_152732.jpg20221203_155819.jpg20221203_160534.jpg20221203_160618.jpg20221203_170338.jpg

---- continued below -----

Step 6: Create the belt-loop. The top of the belt-loop, is just folding the top back underneath. You'll then stich a line to make the bottom of the belt-loop. Keep in mind you'll probably want to fit 2-inch webbing through the loop, and need a little more than 2-inches to be safe. Trim off any excess webbing, that wasn't needed for the belt loop. I

20221203_170418.jpg

Step 7: Sew on top piece of velcro. Just FYI, you'll need a longer piece than you expect. Insert the tool in the sheath, manually line up the velcro, and add about 2 inches. You can always trim the velcro later. First, make 100% sure you have the correct hook & loop facing each-other when it's closed, and then sew the velcro on at the very top edge of the belt-loop.

20221203_162703.jpg20221203_170313.jpg

Step 8 If you're feeling ambitious, you can add a triglide and d-ring, giving you an additional point to secure the tool with a bolt-snap. You'll notice I trimmed the velcro a little, because I have 1.5-inch velcro, but a 1-inch triglide. I also made a point at the end to make it a little easier to insert through the shears-handle.

20221203_170325.jpg20221203_170429.jpg

Finished Results:

20221203_170454.jpg
20221203_170515.jpg

20221203_171220.jpg

----

Please feel free to ask questions. Writing good tutorials can be difficult to communicate well and not skip a step. I do have a few small ideas for improvements to this design, but I'll save that for a later date. Of course, if you have ideas for improvements, feel free to share, I may very well incorporate them in, because I do plan on making another set in about a week.

That's awesome! Great tutorial?

I made a simple shear sheath similar to your first one out of two-sided velcro.

Highly recommend a sewing awl (like the Speedy Stitcher) for simple, durable hand-sewing of webbing and dive gear for those that don't have heavy duty sewing machines.

That's awesome! Great tutorial?

I made a simple shear sheath similar to your first one out of two-sided velcro.

Highly recommend a sewing awl (like the Speedy Stitcher) for simple, durable hand-sewing of webbing and dive gear for those that don't have heavy duty sewing machines.
I recently got a speedy-stitcher, and it's nice. I didn't need it for this project, because this particular webbing is relatively pliable.

I could have used it in another project a while back, where I was stitching a nylon backplate with a needle and pair of pliers. (if this looks like poo, that means your eyes are working, hah! It's held up, so I don't care). I could have also used it on a wing I repaired, which required cutting it open to get to the bladder-hole, gluing the hole and then stitching it back together.

20221203_074613.jpg

Reactions: OTF
These sheaths so far absolitely do the job (any of them). However, I'm always optimizing, and like playing around with new ideas.

I've come up with a few more ideas that may each slightly improve the design. (image below)

1) The folding I did for the flare was unnecessary and awkward. Next design will just have a diagonal stich & then trim the excess.

2) I'd like to extend the front-flap up, thereby providing something to grab when inserting the shears. It also shortens the velcro (or bungie in #5), so that it just goes over the top of the shears, rather than through the nadle.

3 & 5) I was thinking about making the vertical-positioning adjustable. It can perhaps be "one-piece" as shown in #3, or 2 seperate pieces as shown in #5.

4) I was thinking maybe bungie going over the top might be better than fussing with velcro. Ignore the "velcro" text. Adjusting the tension would be by tying a knot on one end of the bungie, up or down, as the bungie would be going through a small enough hole the knot can't slip through. Removing the shears would be sliding the bungie to the side, and inserting would be similar, except slipping the bungie back over the handle.

I haven't decided if I'll try making this next prototype today, or sit on it a few days.

20221204_093330.jpg

Reactions: OTF
The next iteration has been created! This one may be a little overkill, but here are the new features:
  • Magnet embedded inside the sheath, giving it some resistance to simply falling out.
  • Adjustable belt-loop, using a triglide. I can change the height of the sheath, making it hang closer to the belt, or down lower to be out of the way of d-rings.
  • The "tab" on the front provides a good point for grabbing and finding the sheath by feel.
  • Elastic top-cover, that easily slides off the side, or just undo the velcro holding it. (may remove this not sure yet).
I took pictures as I made this version, and may put those up later.

Anyway, initial land-practice is good. Pro-tip, close your eyes when practicing scuba-skills on land. That way you're not relying on your vision, which may be unavailable in murky or dark water, or due to equipment being in the way. In this case, I was testing equipment, not practicing skills, but same principle.

I also helpfully used all black materials to make it easier to see. /s

20221204_123348.jpg
20221204_124528.jpg

20221204_125438.jpg

Back
Top Bottom