Question Do you ever practice dropping weights and handling the unexpected ascent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was on a dive recently with a rental BCD which had all my weight in the two drop pockets. Not how I usually dive but it's what they had for me. We descended somewhat quickly to the bottom at 30 feet due to wanting to get under the moderate current.

Right when I stopped by descent at the bottom, I felt both pockets slip right out! I spotted them on the bottom under me and realized I was headed right back up to the surface. I dumped by BCD's air and kicked downward to slow my ascent, and was able to make a fairly safe return to the surface. Thankfully I was only under for about 2 minutes total and did not suffer any decompression symptoms.

This got me thinking though: While I've been taught theoretically about how to drop weights and ascend, I realized I have never actually practiced it and was not very well prepared for the situation. So I'm curious fellow divers:, do you ever take time to go to a pool or maybe 20ft deep open water area and just practice dropping your weights and handling the quick decisions required to keep the situation safe

I was on a dive recently with a rental BCD which had all my weight in the two drop pockets. Not how I usually dive but it's what they had for me. We descended somewhat quickly to the bottom at 30 feet due to wanting to get under the moderate current.

Right when I stopped by descent at the bottom, I felt both pockets slip right out! I spotted them on the bottom under me and realized I was headed right back up to the surface. I dumped by BCD's air and kicked downward to slow my ascent, and was able to make a fairly safe return to the surface. Thankfully I was only under for about 2 minutes total and did not suffer any decompression symptoms.

This got me thinking though: While I've been taught theoretically about how to drop weights and ascend, I realized I have never actually practiced it and was not very well prepared for the situation. So I'm curious fellow divers:, do you ever take time to go to a pool or maybe 20ft deep open water area and just practice dropping your weights and handling the quick decisions required to keep the situation safe?
Weights...what are those? With my B&W, with SS plate I'm basically neutrally bouyant and don't pack any weights. Also, being an integral part of the BCD, there's no chance of dropping it. Maybe look into such a system.

That is an adequate definition, but in an emergency there is NO NECESSITY to stop an ascent? Recreational divers are "allowed" to make a direct ascent to the surface, with no stops.
You're still doing an uncontrolled buoyant ascent, even though you claimed above you were not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom